14 Things I've Learned This Summer

14 Things I've Learned This Summer

Life Lessons

490
14 Things I've Learned This Summer
SNL

This summer has been filled with plenty of life lessons for me contrary to my initial expectations for "All Summer 16" - Drake's voice. I left my sophomore year of college at the illustrious, Spelman College, filled with these feelings of great accomplishment and relief from a challenging academic and social year. I remember being excited about returning home to be with my family and hometown friends and simply making more money to save up. I wanted to be "comfortable" and "rested" this summer, but that was simply not the case. So many things unraveled in my personal life, business life, social life, and financial life.

Lesson 1: Do what works for YOU, and not what works for everyone else.

I was approached by a "friend" that questioned my decision to simply work this summer and spend time with my family. He remarked that I was "missing opportunities", but the reality was and is: THAT WAS SIMPLY NOT IN THE PLAN FOR ME. I initially stressed the fact that I saw many of my classmates receive internships and etc. , while everything I applied to was either out of my reach or simply not responding to my applications. It was in this moment of this conversation that I realized that I didn't miss out on anything or any opportunity because if it was meant to happen, it would have happened. I did my part (applied, searched,and followed up on those "opportunities"),and nothing happened. Therefore, it was only up to me to TRUST THE PROCESS.

Lesson 2: Opinions are like butt holes. Everyone has one, but nobody likes what comes out of them.

I came in contact with many outspoken people this summer and even people who couldn't stand when or if I had something to say in regards to today's world issues, if they didn't agree. This only taught me to embrace the famous saying that states, "Agree to disagree". Everyone won't agree with you,and that's okay. It's all about respecting one another's viewpoint and understanding that I can't force my opinion on you and you can't force your opinion on me.

Lesson 3: Don't work 8+ hours for a job and forget to go home and work on your own dreams.

When working for companies or privately owned franchises, it's quit easy to gain those long hours that leave you little to no time to do anything but sleep and to do it again the next day. We can't allow ourselves to be stuck in a routine that doesn't enrich us for a greater outcome, especially if you plan to be your own boss one day. While working at these part-time jobs and etc., we have to remind ourselves that we are helping to enrich and grow the dream's of someone else, and our own dreams also matter too. Don't forget about them and make it happen!

Lesson 4: Make the best of your time even with "wasted" time.

I often remembering feeling like I was wasting my time almost every day and regretted coming home. However, the greater outcome was always in the back of my mind. I learned to embrace every day as a new opportunity to get it right with myself, my family, and all of the things that I do. I wasn't wasting time. I was simply un-appreciating the time.

Lesson 5: Networking is mandatory in all areas of your adult life.

This summer helped me meet new people from my hometown that I probably would have never met before. They all contained different personalities and aspirations that taught me to be more open to meeting new people. It provided many benefits for me that not only enriched my communication skills but also helped me save money.

Lesson 6: Racism is still a problem that has poisoned America.

Cases of police brutality continued to surface the media, and black Americans were often the victims of these heinous crimes. I watched many of my peers and social media friends try to make sense of it all, as well as myself. It even brought out some of the most hateful opinions out of beloved former teachers and friends that don't quite understand the #BlackLivesMatter movement, and they probably never will.

Lesson 7: Everyone is not who they may appear to be.

This summer has also forced me to pay attention to the actions of all people and to realize that everyone's social media self is not their true self or at least the "self" that we may think they are. We all have different viewpoints of one another and make assumptions about who a person may be and or what they may mean by what they post or say. It's just a matter of perception and we all understand people and things from our own perceptions.

Lesson 8: Social Media is the new devil.

Social Media too up a lot of my time this summer and often became distracting when I was bored. I noticed many arguments between people and how quickly the media allows news and etc. stir up the pot of arguments and misunderstanding. This has taught me to spend less time on social media and more time communicating with people in the real world.

Lesson 9: Be quick to listen and slow to speak.

A big problem that most people have in regards to arguments an disagreements involves one not listening to the other to understand versus listening to simply reply. Sometimes, it's best to simply listen to people to hear what they are saying before we form a response.

Lesson 10: Some people are meant to be loved from a distance- no matter who they are to you.

One of of my biggest flaws is giving everyone the benefit of the doubt.This lesson is important because sometimes relationships are meant to shift instead of forced. It's okay to let an old friend or even family member go when the relationship has ran its course. we outgrow people. We outgrow things. It's okay.

Lesson 11: Supporting black owned businesses should be a requirement, not an option.

The underlying racism that unfolds more and more each day has also taught me to embrace black owned businesses even more to enrich and enlarge our race as a whole. There's no reason a local supermarket can't be the next WalMart. It's different than race. It's about an enrichment of culture and opportunity that we too often forget to give to ourselves.

Lesson 12: Don't put more on your plate, if you are already full.

I have always been used to doing many things at one time, but this summer taught me to say no to the things that I simply can't do or don't want to do. I would rather be able to continue to do one thing really good and with my full potential than to halfway do many things with little to no potential.

Lesson 13: The little things STILL matter.

As a growing adult, life can be pretty hectic but I still manage to think about the little things that can make a person's day such as : making a random check-in call, a hug, a tip, going walking, eating good, exercising,and etc. The little things always make the "big" things even better that what are.

Lesson 14: Smile more.

This is the most important for people like me who have the ultimate "resting" face that is perceived as a mug or frown. Smiling more will not only make your day better but also those you come in contact with.

Overall, these lessons are also applicable to our lives throughout an eternity versus a 2-3 month time span. Life is about embracing your lemons and making lemonade even when we on;t quit understand or appreciate the process. Again, TRUST THE PROCESS.