14 College Tips For Incoming Freshman

14 College Tips For Incoming Freshman

These are tips that I have learned over my freshman year and want to pass along to other incoming freshman.

332
14 College Tips For Incoming Freshman
Unsplash

You're going to be getting a lot of tips over the next few months as you prepare to move off to college, try to listen because you need to be prepared.

1. Buy A Desk Calendar

College is very hectic, to say the least. In high school, you may have thought you had numerous assignments to keep track of, but college is four times the workload. One of the most useful purchases has been a desk calendar that I keep on my dorm desk.

Most students complete their homework at their desk, this was you can see which assignments you have due each week. I personally find a desk calendar easier, and more organized than my planner.

2. Actually Use Your Desk Calendar

Most professors hand out a syllabus during the first week of class that highlights important due dates for assignments and tests. My advice is to write out every assignment on the day it is due for the entire semester. This way you have easy access to keeping track of your assignments and can stay ahead.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep track of every homework, quiz, and test because it is so easy to fall behind.

3. Go Through Recruitment

I know Greek life is not for everyone, you may have grown up never desiring to be in a sorority, but give it a chance. There are so many girls who never imagined themselves being apart of sorority life and rushed their freshman year and now love it.

Rush does cost a fee to register, but you never know if you will like it or not until you give it a shot. And just know that there are so many sororities besides the "blonde, skinny, tan" girl stereotype.

4. It Is Not Social Suicide To Not Go Through (or continue) Recruitment

College life is not over just because you do not rush. I have plenty of friends who did not rush or join a sorority and are doing just fine. There are plenty of other opportunities to meet people and attend fun events.

5. Costco Is Your BFF

COSTCO IS AMAZING. Moving away to college requires a ton of snacks, school supplies, extension cords, and toiletries. Costco is a store sent from heaven; you can buy a large amount of college necessities for a decent price. This is where I bought a bunch of supplies and snacks for my dorm and it saved my mother's bank account and me.

6. Hang Out With Your Parents

Rember to hang out with your parents. They raised you from day one and have prepared you for this very day. Not only are you leaving your friends, but also your parents. I can promise that even if you do not believe me, your parents will miss you more than your friends will.

7. Do Not Dress Up The First Day Of Class

This is the easiest give away that you are a freshman. Most big sizes universities do not dress up for class. I recommend you just rock the usual Nike shorts and t-short look for the first day of class. Comfy is always the way to go.

8. You Are Not Alone

I do not care if you attend a school miles away from home and do not know a single soul, you are still not alone. Everyone else is in the same boat as you, low-key terrified of this transition. You have to keep the mindset that everyone else is also in a new environment with new people, just like you. College is a BIG CHANGE for everyone, and you are not on this journey alone.

9. Be Yourself

You have the freedom to truly find yourself, use it. You have no parents to tell you what to do, what to wear, or how to act. Use this newly granted freedom to discover who you are without parental influence surrounding you.

10. Air Conditioner Hack

If you are one who likes your room to be so cold that it is practically snowing, sleep in the bed that is closest to the air conditiong. This is an easy solution if your roommate does not like the room as cold. You will be right by the air conditioning and can have the coolest corner of the room.

11. Be Honest With Roommates Upfront

This is the person you are about to spend all of your time with, especially if you have simply dorm style where you share a room. You have to be honest with your roommate and discuss boundaries from the start. Lay down the boundaries regarding food, your bed, quiet times, having friends over, etc. It is better to set boundaries than to go a whole year hating your roommate.

12. Go All Out For Your Dorm

Your dorm is your home away from home, literally. This is your new bedroom and new place you will spend 80% of your time at. I say go all out for your dorm, make it unique and match your style. It is easy to be away from home when you feel like you have an away home. I went all out with my dorm and love it to death.

13. SAVE FLEX DOLLARS

It is amazing how fast you can fly through your dining dollars. Try to save and not spend them all the first few months of school. Nothing is worse than having to live off of $10 flex for the last month of school.

14. Enjoy Every Moment

It is no joke that time flies. This first year is going by so fast that I cannot believe I only have a litlle over a month of school left. Enjoy your time in college. Study hard, but also make sure to go out and have fun with your friends.