14 Artifacts From 2014

14 Artifacts From 2014

14 Things From 2014 You've Likely Forgotten About

326
14 Artifacts From 2014
My Curly Mane

Remember 2014? It may have been just a mere three years ago, but it was honestly a much different world we lived in. For instance, we were still blissfully unaware of the fact that Donald Trump was planning on running for president, much less that he would win. Many things can change in a short span of time especially trends and relevant ideas in society. This is a list compiled of things that were extremely important to me in 2014, yet I've barely thought about them since then. I hope that this list gives you strong 2014 nostalgic flashbacks, but it might just make you cringe. Without further ado, here are 14 popular concepts from 2014 that you likely have not thought about since.

1. The Fault In Our Stars

The Fault In Our Stars .... what a throwback. I remember when all of the girls had to get their hands on a copy of the book before the movie came out in June 2014. "Maybe okay will be our always" and "Some infinities are bigger than other infinities" and other basic quotes were all over Instagram and Tumblr. I remember being deeply invested in the book and had a shirt from Hot Topic bearing a quote, sigh. I'm also going to lump the Divergent craze into this too because even though there were other movies made after the initial one, the excitement could never equal the fangirling craze of Spring 2014.

2. Five Seconds Of Summer

There are many boy bands who hit their peak in 2014 (Arguably One Direction too? But that's an entirely different post don't get me started), but Five Seconds of Summer is really prominent in my memories of 2014. They had their two biggest hits that year, She Looks So Perfect and Amnesia and what they've been up to since then? Truly no clue. (Did they break up? Someone please inform me...)

3. Iggy Azalea

Speaking of artists I haven't heard from in a while, what HAPPENED to Iggy Azalea?? I never liked her music but I still find myself singing Fancy every now and then... Iggy, if you're out there...... Let me know.....

4. "Tumblr Girls"

The above picture is of Acacia Clark, who is the most well-known "Tumblr Girl". If you are unfamiliar with this term, it was essentially a subculture of girls in the 2013/2014 era who took high-quality pictures of basic things such as beauty products, Starbucks cups, Nutella, and above all, selfies. I don't know why this concept was so popular back in that time, but honestly, these girls were all goals of mine. I wanted to have a fringe and take high-quality pictures of EOS lip balms too :(

5. Ice Bucket Challenge

Towards the end of Summer 2014, a meme with purpose appeared. The ice bucket challenge was created in an attempt to spread awareness of ALS and help raise money, which it did. It quickly spread across the internet with people posting their videos and challenging others to pour a bucket of ice water on their heads and donate to ALS. I did it, did you?

6. Alex From Target

Anyone else remember that one day when everyone on Twitter was obsessed with this Texas teenager working at Target? Yeah, I remember seeing nothing but this boy's face on my newsfeed for about a week. I wonder if he still works at Target.....

7. Kim Kardashian "Broke The Internet"

Also, Kim Kardashian seemed to think that this photo would "break the internet". I don't know what she would define that as considering dismantling an international system that has been exponentially growing since the early 90's is basically impossible. She did inspire a plethora of memes though so?

8. Old Instagram Logo

Instagram used to look like this. Never Forget.

9. Nicki Minaj's Anaconda

I literally wish I didn't remember this monstrosity of a song honestly. Why did she ever write it?? I mean, I understand it but I just..... ughhhh I don't want to think about it anymore but the one that's next on the list might just be worse.

10. "Let Me Take A Selfie"

I just found out that this song was made by The Chainsmokers and honestly... it explains everything. They were creating this monstrosity that would become the obsession of middle school aged girls everywhere which is quite funny in hindsight because that's obviously not the song's target audience.

11. Nash Grier

Do you wanna know whose target audience was, however, a middle school girl? This guy (Along with Brent Rivera, Magcon, and all of the other Viners of the day). Nash Grier became famous around this time for having blue eyes and making sexist vines. I have no clue what he's up to now, but I'd rather not know.

12. Ebola

What's 2014 without an Ebola scare? I remember everyone was so concerned about the Ebola outbreak in Africa and even more when it was brought to Texas. All the Ebola epidemic did, in the end, was give ammunition to hypochondriacs and meme-makers.

13. Wattpad

Wattpad still exists, but does anybody still use this story-writing platform? I remember it was all the rage back in 2014 to write and publish stories (mainly fanfictions) to the site and have others read them. There was even After , the Harry Styles fanfic that was LEGITAMITELY PUBLISHED. I'm kind of ashamed to say I read that, along with other One Direction fanfiction back in that time. Cringing.

14. Flappy Bird

FLAPPY BIRD! This game caused so much stress back in 2014. So much so that the creator had to remove it from the app store? That was such a shocking moment for all of us, but thankfully, since we already had the app, we did not have to worry about not having any more Flappy-Bird-Induced panic attacks. There are plenty of versions of this game online, in case you want to have another one. If anything will bring you 2014 nostalgia, it's this.