13 Tips For Traveling By Yourself

13 Tips For Traveling By Yourself

How to Make Traveling Alone Significantly Easier

35
13 Tips For Traveling By Yourself
Writm

For most college students, break is a time to see your family, be reunited with friends, and most importantly, catch up on sleep. But before the fun starts, you have to go through the (sometimes) dreaded endeavor of traveling home. If you’re like me and go to a school not so close to home, than traveling alone for the first time can be a little nerve wracking. Here are some tips that I’ve found useful in making the process go by smoother.

1. Always remember to bring your earphones

Music is a simple way to be at ease in an anxious situation. You can blast it and find comfort in the environment and people around you. Having some background noise makes any situation a little less tense or uncomfortable.

2. Dress in layers

The temperature always seems like an easy thing to dress for, but airports are a whole other ball game. By wearing layers, you can take off your sweatshirt if you need to adjust to the heat blaring next to you, or wrap a scarf around your neck if the air conditioning is a little too much. Make sure to bring an extra pair of socks, the plane is always a little colder than you expect it to be.

3. Write out an itinerary

Though technology is a beautiful thing, it is not always reliable. If you’re like me and have a glitchy phone, you can never be too sure that nothing happen. Will it die at 70%? Delete my messages? Writing out an itinerary on a piece of paper will ensure that you have a concrete copy of your plans that will not disappear or be deleted. It’ll also take the pressure of trying to memorize your plans out of the equation.

4. Make sure your chargers are accessible

This might seem like a no-brainer, but you don’t realize how much battery is taken up by scrolling through Instagram or listening to Spotify until your phone is on 3%. By knowing where your chargers are, you won’t have to deal with the stress of digging through your bags.

5. Keep your wallet close

In the times that I’ve traveled alone, I usually have a suitcase, a backpack, and keep a small bag at my side. I’d like to believe that people aren’t going to unzip my bag from behind me, but you never know. By wearing a crossbody or even keeping your wallet in your jacket pocket zippered shut, you are ensuring that your valuables are safe and close to you at all times.

6. Don’t be afraid to call mom or dad

Traveling by yourself can get lonely, so why not give mom a call and see how her day’s been? Talking to a family member or friend always seems to make the time go a little faster, and make me feel more comfortable and less alone. If you’re like me and are too busy to call on a regular basis, I’m sure they’d love to hear from you.

7. If you can, check your bags at the gate

Depending on your airline, you may be able to check your bags at the gate, for free! This saves you time, money, and the hassle of trying to get your bag to fit in the overhead compartment. It eliminates a lot of stress, trust me.

8. Leave early

Depending on the time of your fight, leave with more than enough time to eat, get lost, or what have you. By leaving enough time before your flight, you don’t have to worry about security taking too long, going to the wrong gate, etc. Once you find your gate, go get something to eat and explore! You’ll feel a lot better knowing that you’ve actually located your gate and can visualize it.

9. Befriend a stranger

I know what you’re thinking, why would I want to do that? When you’re sitting at your gate for over two hours, you’ll eventually get hungry or have to go to the bathroom. By saying hi to the person next to you, you can have your very own bathroom buddy. It might sound silly but it’s actually super helpful, especially if your flight gets delayed.

10. Bring a reusable water bottle

Yes, I know that liquids aren’t allowed on planes, but if you bring an empty bottle with you, you can fill it up once you’re through security. This saves you money, gives you no reason to worry, and helps the environment too!

11. Bring a good book

If you’re not much of a music person, having a good book to turn to is an effective way to help pass the time and keep you busy. Whether it’s your all time favorite or one you’re reading for the first time, reading is a good way to distract yourself if you find you’re getting nervous.

12. Wear simple shoes

Wearing shoes that are easy to put on and off really come in handy when going through security. There’s already the pressure to get all of your belongings in a bin relatively quickly, so by wearing shoes that don’t require a bunch of time to get on or off, it’ll help the process go a little faster.

13. Track your flight on your phone

If you’re nervous that the status of your flight is going to change and you won’t know, you can track it on your phone. To do this, you go to your airline’s website, and look for “flight status”. Though this may vary, it is a sure way to keep track and make sure that everything is on time. It’ll also inform you of any delays, that way you can plan accordingly.

Traveling alone can be stressful for anyone. Next time you find yourself traveling alone, try some of these tips out to see what works best for you!