13 Things You Have To Do This Holiday Season

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

61
HD Wall Source

Late November to early January is such a joyous season. Thanksgiving. Christmas. New Years. . . So many fun holidays in such a short time frame. It's only fitting to make the most out of our time and do as many holiday activities as possible. Here are some of the basic things to do but feel free to continue any family/friend traditions you already have! Happy Holidays everyone! :)

1. Decorate the house

Lights. . . tree. . . ACTION!! But don't forget the tinsel, garland, stockings and ornaments. The best way to get into the holiday spirit is to surround yourself with festive decor. Put on some Christmas music, light the evergreen-scented candle and get to decorating!

2. Buy a Christmas tree

The house isn't complete without the Christmas tree. Real or fake, it does not matter. I personally consider going to a Christmas tree farm and searching for the "perfect tree" a holiday to-do activity in itself.

3. Donate to a charity in need

I think a lot of us forget that the holiday season is a time for giving. Whether that be donating money or volunteering your time, every little contribution helps.

Ideas:

Toys for Tots

Operating Christmas Child

Make-A-Wish Foundation

Ringing Bells for the Salvation Army

4. Watch "Buddy The Elf"

"Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?" If you have no idea what I'm referring to, then you need to open a new tab in your internet browser, search for this movie, let your family and friends know you'll be busy for the next hour and thirty-seven minutes, and let this movie do what it does best -- entertain. It's simply a classic.

5. Bake Christmas cookies

Baking cookies at all times of the year is 110% acceptable. But, baking Christmas cookies is a MUST! I'm talking rolling out the sugar cookie dough, using holiday stencil cutouts, baking them to perfection, then decorating them using your own personal touch.

Want to add more variety to your sweets? Try:

Peppermint Bark

Holiday Crack Candy

Peppermint Oreo Truffles

6. Send holiday cards

I feel like people don't send holiday cards like they use to. Most are sent via Facebook or even email. . . Let's bring back the tradition and send holiday cards through the mail. Away at college? No problem. Get a group of your close friends, take a picture, upload it to Walgreen's or CVS and customize your own college holiday card. Send them back home to family, they will love it!

7. Build a gingerbread house

When I was younger, I never truly understood why anyone would want to put together a huge cookie/candy house and NOT eat it right after! You just let it sit on the kitchen table for days, even weeks maybe without touching it. Regardless, my brother and I built one every year as kids, and it became a tradition in my family.

8. Listen to Christmas music

"The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear!" I hope by now you understand my movie references. . . Seriously though, I've had my headphones on listening to Christmas music since early November (don't judge me). But, the day after Thanksgiving -- full blast on the speakers.

9. Start a Secret Santa gift exchange

Doing a Secret Santa gift exchange is perfect in most settings! For example, some settings include sororities/fraternities, work offices, classes, friend groups, sports teams and extended family.

10. Go see Christmas lights

One of my favorite things about this time of the year is all the lights -- lights on trees, houses, buildings, etc. Even at night, everything seems so cheerful and somewhat magical. I love driving around the neighborhood and looking at everyone's lights. Most parks have their own light show, which I 10/10 recommend going to see.

11. Watch "The Nutcracker"

All those who are lovers of the arts know oh so well that going to see "The Nutcracker" is a MUST. Even if you don't consider yourself a performing arts lover, I recommend watching a professional production of this two-part ballet. It's a 125-year-old classic!

12. Go ice skating

This is one of the only times a person can say they can walk on water (it's frozen, but still). It's not the easiest activity in the world. Actually, I'm still amazed how people can do it without falling. Yet, I will go every year and make an embarrassment of myself while I cling to the side rail for dear life.

13. Have an ugly Christmas sweater party

Nothing screams basic more than sipping on eggnog while wearing your so-ugly-it's-kind-of-cute sweater. To make it even better -- invite your friends! Make a little competition to see who can wear the "ugliest" Christmas sweater. That is when a person's creativity really shines through.