Things to thank sisters for

13 Things It's About Time To Thank Your Older Sisters For

7. Training me with that sibling competitiveness.

76
Jess Riley

Older sisters are a blessing despite maybe not realizing that all the time.

Even though we don't always get along, I've learned a lot of valuable lessons from my older sisters over the past twenty years. Sara and Megan, I might not say it enough but thank you.

1. Showing you how to stay true to yourself.

Jess Riley

The most important lesson my sisters have taught me is to be true to yourself no matter what. This is something that will stick with me forever and has shaped me into the person I am today. Both of my sisters are unapologetically themselves and I couldn't be more thankful that's a trait they instilled in me growing up.

2. All their mistakes that you learned from.

Jess Riley

Thank you for making a lot of mistakes growing up so I would learn exactly what not to do. Anytime my sisters would get yelled at, I would make a mental note not to do that, or at least not get caught.

3. Teaching you how to show someone you care.

Jess Riley

No matter how far away we are in distance, my sisters have always shown me that they care (even if they won't admit it). Whether it's visiting me at college, taking me out to the movies, or sending me a picture of their pets just to check-in, I know they'll always be there for me.

4. Showing you the skills to survive high school.

Jess Riley

Anyone who knows my sisters knows that they had a drastically different high school experience but no matter what I was going through in high school, I could always count on them to give me good advice. When all other advice failed, the classic "high school is stupid anyway" never failed to make me feel better.

5. Proving all the hard work is worth it. 

Jess Riley

I never would've thought growing up that my sisters would be as successful and hardworking as they are now. They inspire me to be more like them every day. I don't say it as often as I should but I am so proud of the progress and growth you have both made in your lives, and I am honored to be able to call you my sisters.

6. Showing you how to laugh at yourself.

Jess Riley

My sisters taught me to be proud of who I am and never take life too seriously. They might be my most honest critics at times and roast me harder than anyone else, but at least I can laugh when they do it now instead of bursting into tears like I did when I was younger.

Jess Riley

Anyone with siblings understands the competitiveness that comes with it. Whether it was over soccer or school, we always made a competition out of it. I wish I could say this has changed but we still argue over who gives mom the better Christmas gift or who the favorite child is. At least I've learned not to be a sore loser anymore.

8. If you leave your seat, someone else will take it.

Jess Riley

One sister, in particular, is notorious for this (Megan). I thought we would've left this in the past but I can't leave my chair on Christmas Day for even a minute without coming back and finding someone else sitting in it. The rest of the family gets annoyed when you keep asking them to refill your drink or grab you something because you refuse to get up and risk your seat getting stolen, but it's worth it.

9. Teaching me the importance of making time for having fun.

Jess Riley

They might be some of the hardest workers I know, but they also know how to make time to have fun. This may be counterproductive when they convince me to call off work for 'Friendsgiving', but mostly this has taught me to not burn myself out and take breaks when I need them.

(Also can we take a moment to appreciate how stunning my sister looked on her wedding day?)

10. Giving all the love in the world.

When I was in middle school, my sister told me something that I didn't understand at the time but has stuck with me ever since. She said, "you can love someone but not be in love with them".

As a 12-year-old who's only concept of love was One Direction, this made no sense to me. Throughout the years, however, this has been one of the most important things they've taught me.

11. Showing me how to stand up for myself.

Jess Riley

My sisters taught me to stand up for myself and my beliefs no matter what. If I couldn't do it for myself, they always had my back and I know they still do. I can't even count how many times my oldest sister offered to fight someone for me. I owe my strong-minded nature to the two of them and I couldn't be more thankful.

12. Introducing me to the best throwback songs

Jess Riley

I can attribute my taste in music to sharing a bedroom with my sister Megan for ten years. I remember spending entire nights downloading Lil Wayne and Kesha songs off LimeWire and making CDs. She taught me all the best throwbacks and had me singing songs I was much too young to understand the lyrics too. Now that we're older we've upgraded from listing to illegally downloaded songs in our pink and purple bedroom to going to see them in concert.

13. Making sure I know I can always rely on them

Jess Riley

No matter how old we get or how far away we are in distance, I know I can always count on my sisters to be there for me. Things have definitely changed over the years, and I will cherish the memories forever.

Sara and Megan, thank you for making me the person I am today and teaching me valuable lessons along the way. I am so proud of who you both are today and I'm lucky to be able to call myself your sister.