14 Things That Get My Dopamine Flowing

14 Things That Get My Dopamine Flowing

Depression can suck, but it helps to think about the good things in life.

188
14 Things That Get My Dopamine Flowing
Digaita

Life is rough when you have depression. Between school and work and general adulting, we can get so overwhelmed that nothing seems worth it. Add on the news constantly telling us about war and disasters and increasingly insane politics, it becomes too easy to forget the good in the world. One thing I like to do when I'm going through a depressive episode is think about all the little things in the world that make me happy. So, in no particular order, here are 14 things that really get my dopamine flowing.

1. Flowers.

I love flowers. They always remind me of how cool nature is. Did you know plants grow their leaves in a Fibonacci spiral to make sure all the leaves are getting sunlight? Dope, right? They're so pretty and have an important job to do in the world, so they make the world feel more ordered and purposeful rather instead of the chaotic mess it can seem to be.

2. Fuzzy blankets.

When I'm having a bad day, it's always nice to curl up in a fuzzy blanket and not deal with whatever is stressing me out or making me depressed. Plus they keep me warm.

3. Memes.

Memes are funny even when they're not. It's apart of their charm. They can always distract me from responsibilities and give a funny spin on the bad stuff in the world, while still being super relatable sometimes.

4. Perfect weather.

It is so rare when the weather is perfect, but those are the days I live for. When the sun is shining and there is a light breeze, I am outside and enjoying it as much as I can. It's probably just the vitamin D that makes me feel good, but I'll take it.

5. Harry Potter.

The earth is billions of years old and I am blessed with being alive at a time where "Harry Potter" exists. It's amazing. And I get to live near Universal Studios where they have "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter!" Honestly, I am so lucky! "Harry Potter" gives me a chance to leave my world and go into another. I can take some time to watch one of the movies or read one of the books and immerse myself in someone else's problems rather than my own.

6. Technology.

Technology is so great. Like, I have a tiny computer in my pocket all the time! I even have a voice-activated assistant like the computer on "Star Trek." And it's not even the major tech that is so awesome. I have indoor plumbing and air conditioning, which hasn't been around for the vast majority of life on earth. So, when I get down I like to think about how, no matter how hard life gets, at least I'm not pooping outside.

7. Dogs.

Dogs are objectively the best thing to happen to mankind. They are so friendly and loyal and cute. Whenever I'm having a hard time, a dog can never fail to cheer me up. Honestly, they're so cute I can barely handle it.

8. Cats.

Cats are pretty great too. They're so soft and purr when you pet them. Even though they're more standoffish than dogs, it just means they really like you when they do cuddle up next to you. Also, they have scratchy tongues.

9. Baby animals in general.

Baby animals are just so cute! I don't know what it is, but I CANNOT get enough of some baby animals. Even babies of animals that are normally ugly are adorable. You really can't be sad looking at videos or baby animals just running around and being babies.

10. John Mulaney.

John Mulaney is so funny, and not overly sexual or gross. He is honestly one of my favorite comedians right now and I have seen all of his specials on Netflix. Also, he hasn't been accused of sexual assault as far as I know. One thing I love to do is watch a comedy special on Netflix and just laugh.

11. Chocolate.

Do I really need to explain this one?

12. Musicals.

I. Love. Musicals. They suspend all reality and take you into a world where breaking out into seemingly rehearsed song and dance is totally normal, which is a world I want to live in. Anything bad that happens in a musical is usually fixed within a colorful and upbeat musical number. It's also just entertaining. If you're anything like me, you'll be happy to know that "Legally Blond: The Musical" is on YouTube.

13. Netflix.

Netflix, along with other streaming services, is one of my favorite things. They've revolutionized how we watch T.V. and I am here for it. Plus, their originals are so good. No matter how I'm feeling, I can distract myself by binge watching "The Office" for the millionth time and just take a break form my own problems.

14. Arts and Crafts.

It always feels good to do something productive, but sometimes I just don't feel up to doing what actually needs to be done. Here is when I turn to arts and crafts. I like to do stuff like knit or paint or really anything that involved cutting and gluing. It makes me feel like I'm actually doing something and I get cute thing to wear, hang on my wall, or gift to someone.

Life can suck sometimes, but it's important to remember the little things that make it worthwhile. Next time you're feeling down, take Maria Von Trapp's advice and maybe make a list of a few of your favorite things and look out for them in your daily life.