13 Things Every Freshman Should Do During Their First Month at College

This one's for you, #ATU20.

44
Stephanie Baker

Starting college is both exhilarating and a tiny bit terrifying. It's going to be just fine. Friendships take time and it's easy to feel alone in your new surroundings. After the first couple of weeks, college begins to feel like home, and come summer you'll miss it. (Okay, maybe not the homework, but everything else.) Enjoy this next chapter of your life and where it leads you.

Here's 13 things every freshman should do during their first month at college:

1. Go to orientation.

Some freshmen blow off orientation like it's no big deal, but why would you blow off something that's there for your advantage? Yes the teamwork building exercises may seem dumb, but it's worth it. You get to meet a bunch of new students who are new to campus, and learn a bunch of new things about the campus that you will call home for the next four years. Take time to get to know or at least talk to the students in our orientation group. You never know who might end up being a new friend.

2. Save your schedule.

Take a picture of your class schedule and keep it on your phone. You may even want to consider setting as your lock screen so it's always visible. I promise it is way more practical than trying to access it online every single time someone asks you what time you have that one class. I would also recommend walking through your schedule and locating all your classrooms before the first day of class. You will be stressed/excited enough without having to worry about getting lost.

3. Make the most of Welcome Week.

Welcome Week is one of the best weeks on campus. Get out there and enjoy it! Try to make it to all the events. Our Student Activities Board keeps it jam packed with different events and activities every night. I would especially recommend the involvement fair. You get to see every organization on campus and score free t-shirts and other fun stuff.

4. Go to class.

This should be obvious. You are spending a ton of money to go college. You are there to get a degree. Go to class. It's going to be hard to pass a class you never show up to.

5. Keep up with the syllabus for every class.

Your first day, in every class, you will receive a packet that outlines everything you will be doing the entire semester. These are really important. Try really hard not to loose the syllabus for any class. Most teachers are nice enough to make it available online; others aren't.

6. Get to know someone in every class.

This is really helpful, especially for when your teacher tells you to pair up for an excercise or you are sick and need the notes from the lecture. It's also just really nice to have a friendly face to talk to before class starts.

7. Start/keep a planner.

Between class, a job, club meetings and countless homework assignments, it's nearly impossible to survive with a planner. When things get busy it will keep you sane. Trust me, you will forget to do that homework assignment if you don't write it down. If you think you will be fine without one because you made it through high school without one, you're wrong. Now is the time to learn to use one. I prefer a notebook sized one, with plenty of space to write, that includes room for daily assignments.

8. Spend time outside of your dorm room.

Your campus is basically a small city, where thousands of people your age live, where everything is within walking distance. It's tempting to want to go crash in your bed and watch Netflix after a crazy day of class, but take time to enjoy what's going on outside of your dorm room. Keep up with the events going on on campus. They are a fun and free way to spend free time with friends.

9. Get involved.

Get involved with something on campus. Find a campus ministry, a club for your major or maybe even Greek life. There are over 100 different organizations on campus to join. Between volunteering for the Student Activities Board and an actual Quidditch club, there is literally something for everyone.

10. Figure out everything ATU has to offer.

Take advantage of the free weekly fitness classes, intramural and movie nights on campus. The recreation building has rentals for bikes and kayaks, and free day passes to The Wall, a climbing gym located just off campus. Get to know what all is available around campus.

11. Find a mentor in your major.

Get to know the upperclassmen in your major. It's easy to meet them if you major has a club or other organization. Befriend one who's a sophomore or junior, who knows what they are doing. They are a great source of info when it comes to what classes to take, helping with homework, etc. When they graduate it may be sad, but it will be helpful to have a friend whose already conquering the job field after college.

12. Make a new friend.

Try to make a new friend, one who didn't go to your old high school. One that's not from your hometown.Some amazing friendships have started with just a hello.

13. By the end of the first week have a friend or good acquaintance you could eat in the cafe with if you don't feel like eating alone.

You might not find your new BFF your first week at college, but it's nice to have someone you can text if you want to go grab some food that you didn't cook in your dorm.