13 Reasons To Watch "Supernatural"

13 Reasons To Watch "Supernatural"

Destiel!

123
13 Reasons To Watch "Supernatural"
CW Television

I have never really thought of myself as much of a "fangirl". The Tumblr kind of fangirl, who is obsessed with things such as "Harry Potter", "Supernatural", "Doctor Who", "Sherlock", and "Star Wars". The big, "nerd" franchises.

You know the type: their phone case is a tardis, and their wallpaper is Beignet Cumburbund. Not that there's anything wrong with these fans; all the power to them! But I never associated myself with them. I always preferred to stick to my aesthetic Instagrams and niche fanfictions.

And then, "Supernatural" happened. Here are 13 reasons to watch it.

1. The first season is laughably campy.

Just the special effects in the pilot alone. It's a great thing to binge on a drunken chill night with friends. It's super easy to make fun of the circa 2005 technology. The worst part of it all is that the writers, actors, and characters are taking themselves way too seriously. In some way, that makes it funnier.

By the time the second season hits, you'll be weirdly attached to the overly-dramatic brothers.

2. YOUNG SAM!

I'm not going to lie. He is demoted to the least attractive main character in later seasons, but in the first two, Jared Padalecki is the heart-eyes emoji personified.

3. On that topic, the boys in general.

Sam, Dean, Castiel, Young John, Lucifer, Adam, Kevin...

4. The musical episode should have won every award in the book.

"A single man tear slips down his face..."

5. Jensen Ackles.

He's gotten to be older than my usual celebrity crushes, but he's definitely still got it as of season 13. Cheekbones and green eyes for days!

6. The female characters.

Okay, let's be honest for a second. "Supernatural" has a reputation for killing off every female character or just discarding them and forgetting their existence. Much of this is due to the fandom's inherent hatred of any potential romance for Sam or Dean, which is a whole other topic. Despite, or, perhaps, because of this, they're all well-written and badass.

Take Jo and Ellen as two prime examples, and Rowena and Linda to boot. Can't forget Bela and Ruby! And then there's Charlie.

Charlie is okay, I guess. She's just the result of the writers obviously pandering to the fangirls mentioned above. Still, she's got a decent character arc, and she brings some much-needed humor to the Winchester boys' drama.

7. Hardly anyone is truly gone.

This is a little bit of a spoiler, but if a main or even recurring character dies, don't expect that to be the last you see of them. I'll leave that there.

8. Mischa Collins.

That is all I'm saying.

9. God is a character, and he is a hilarious nerd.

I'm not going to say anything else on the topic because it's a "Big Reveal".

10. Bobby Singer.

Not in a hot way, but in a "this-is-the-only-consistently-rational-character" kind of way.

11. The episodes get more and more ridiculous as the show goes on.

This is both a good and a bad thing. It's bad because, at a certain point, you're genuinely attached to these characters and their troubles. On the other hand, the laughably bad episodes are super fun to watch.

It helps that the writers get self-aware and meta with the humor.

12. Homosexual subtext.

C'mon, writers. We can all tell which couple you're hinting at.

13. It doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

Currently, with 12 seasons on Netflix, season 13 currently airing, and season 14 confirmed. not to mention all the spin-offs, novels, comic books, and fanfictions, the chances that you'll run out of "Supernatural" content are next to none. It's the perfect show to binge!

Hey, assbutt! Go watch "Supernatural".