13 Reasons To Love The 3-1-3

13 Reasons To Love The 3-1-3

"The Paris of the West" is calling you.

9
13 Reasons To Love The 3-1-3
Justin Jacob

I bet if I told you that Detroit is easily a tourist destination, you’d think I’m crazy, right? Well, let me prove you wrong. There’s so much to offer, so much to do, and it’s all within a short drive if you live in the Metro-Detroit area. If not, next time you’re in Michigan, come on down to Detroit, and see all that we’ve got to offer.

So aside from the occasional trip to a Tigers game, check out 13 reasons to love the 3-1-3:

1. Campus Martius Park:

The park, centered in the Downtown district of Detroit, houses so many places to eat, drink, and hang out. Every winter, the park turns into an ice rink, and then in the summer it turns into a beach! Who would’ve thought that you could enjoy a little bit of paradise in the middle of the city?

2. The Whitney:

For as long as ghost hunting in Detroit has been around, the Whitney is a hub for spiritual activity… Well, if you believe in that kind of stuff at least. Aside from the ghostly manor being home to the supposed deceased Whitney family, they offer an exquisite menu for upscale dining. This is a MUST if you want a thrilling dining experience, but just watch your back because this place is apparently pretty active with spirits, even the Ghost Hunters have been here!

3. Kayaking the Detroit River:

I bet you don’t think of the Detroit River to be a hot-spot for adventurers, but it is a great way to get views of the city, and our Canadian neighbors, from the water. If you like to kayak, check out the several kayak and canoe rental services to hit the water and enjoy some good, Detroit fun!

4. Midtown Shopping:

Ever heard of that little brand, Shinola? Well, the watch, leather, and bike company’s flagship store is in Midtown, where you can get a custom made, Detroit-assembled watch at your convenience (albeit you’d need a few hundred dollars to grab the cheapest one). On top of the Shinola store, there’s also the new Third Man Records store, launched by the famed musician, Jack White, of The White Stripes. It’s a must-see if you take a trip down Canfield, in Midtown.

5. Detroit Segway Tours:

You can be your own version of Paul Blart down the Detroit Riverfront, thanks to the Detroit Segway Tours company. The entire span of the boardwalk is long enough that you’ll get tired after a little while, but not on a Segway! So strap up your kneepads, your riding gloves, and helmet and take a spin on the infamous two-wheeled contraption to experience the Riverfront in a whole new way!

6. The Sports:

Yes, we all know that the Detroit Lions, Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons are going to be playing in the city, but did you know they are literally all within a short walking distance of each other? The new Little Caesars Arena is going to house both our hockey and basketball teams, and we are so excited to see it become a hub for sporting events and concerts alike (I’m looking at you Ed Sheeran, I will see you in September!) Comerica Park and Ford Field also are equally awesome, and have a TON of culinary options for your choosing. Also, let’s take this time to remember the Joe Louis Arena, for it served the Red Wings since 1979 up until this year when they are making the move to the new Little Caesars Arena. RIP to “The Joe.”

7. The Detroit Institute of Arts:

The DIA is home to some of the “best of the best” when it comes to art. Housing over 100 galleries, from Diego Rivera to John James Audubon, it is proudly one of the United States’ largest art collections. Most recently, the Wayne State University won a contest between them and University of Michigan to house one of the original collections of William Shakespeare’s playbooks. This is a place to check out if you need inspiration, or if you just enjoy fantastic art installations.

8. A Streetcar named “Q”:

Originally, Detroit had a series of streetcars running along Woodward avenue, but up until 1956 this form of public transit was decommissioned. However, due to some generous donors in Detroit’s city district, the Q-Line is up and running. Running nearly 9.3 miles, the Q-Line system will have 10 cars, and will be able to take you along Woodward’s most iconic areas. Let’s just say, if you don’t mind parking somewhere farther from downtown, you can save yourself a few extra bucks to take the car instead of shelling out the $25-$50 (depending on the event and day) to make that trip.

9. TechTown Detroit:

If you’re a “techie” or you just like seeing innovation unfold in your own backyard, take a trip to New Center to see TechTown. It’s home to technology start-ups, and urban research businesses alike. Not only that, you can also get some killer grub at the Bucharest Grill, which is only a mere few feet from the center of TechTown.

10. American Coney and Lafayette Coney:

Okay, so I like food, and I hope you do too if you’re planning on taking a trip downtown. At one of the most iconic eateries for Coney Island fare, American Coney and Lafayette Coney are full-service diners that each serve your favorites. I am not at liberty to say which is better, so I’ll let you be the judge, but this friendly competition between the two has been demonstrated on the Food Networks “Food Wars” show. So, if you’re looking to eat cheap, but get good food while doing it, pick one of these places and try it out… Honestly, just order from both, and give yourself the liberty of having given both a chance.

11. The Belle Isle Zoo:

Belle Isle, known for its racetrack, also houses a nature park to explore if you’re into that kind of thing. Belle Isle is centered between the United States and Canadian border, but don’t worry, there’s no custom’s check so you don’t have to worry about a long wait to get onto this little piece of nature’s paradise, as you’ll be in the U.S. the entire time. There’s also kayak tours around the isle, so hit up that kayak rental shop and you’ll be paddling in no-time!

12. Cruisin’ with the Detroit Princess:

The Detroit Princess Riverboat houses tours along the river, with lunch or dinner fare provided by your tour, and there are drinks at your disposal. The Detroit Princess does it all from family reunions, to birthday parties, and even weddings. If you want to skip the paddle, and get onto something that doesn’t require any extra strength, you can get onto the Princess and sail your night away.

13. Detroit’s Eastern Market:

The largest public market in all the United States is right in Detroit, off Adelaide street, which houses public vendors selling fresh produce and meats, as well as pop-up shops selling retail items from Detroit. Not only can you get your own food to take home and eat, you can eat at some of the best eateries around town, like the Farmer’s Restaurant which serves some of the best Irish-inspired foods you can possibly get!

There you have it, 13 reasons to love the 3-1-3. Now, go get off of your laptop, phone, or tablet, or however you’ve managed to scroll through this list, and hop on I-75 and make your way downtown…

**cues Avril Lavigne**