Reaction to 13 Reasons Why Season 2 finale

My Reaction To The End Of '13 Reasons Why' Season 2

Here's what I thought went well—and what didn't—in the season two finale of "13 Reasons Why."

217

If you don't want to know how season two of 13 Reasons Why ended then do not read on! This post contains spoilers on spoilers on spoilers. But, if you don't mind, by all means keep reading.

I finished season two about a week ago and it's taken some time for me to process all my feelings. To give myself some credentials, I'd like to start out by saying that I've read the book twice, yes twice—once in middle school and then again when the show first dropped on Netflix—I know my stuff.

However, the end of season one was the end of the book. So season two is a whole new playground. To keep this article to an appropriate length and not a novel, I'm going to stick to reviewing the final episode. Before I do that, I just want to give my thoughts overall.

I really enjoy this show. It's entertaining. Do I love it? No, but I'm not going to stop watching it. It's also received quite a lot of backlash.

I understand where people are coming from when they say that this show glorifies suicide and that it's not an accurate representation of what suicide is really like. However, I must disagree. I've read many articles and blogs and I think it really comes down to how you are interpreting the show.

Not everyone should watch 13 Reasons Why as it can be a trigger, but it does open up a conversation about suicide. This show also only depicts one story of what suicide is like, it is not a cookie cutter mold for every person's story and we shouldn't see it that way.

But ANYWAY, let's get into my thoughts on the final episode.

1. Jessica's trial

This scene comes with some good news and some bad news. Let's start with the bad news.

At the end of the trial, the judge sentences Bryce to three months probation. Three months of not even actual jail time for raping Jessica, not to mention many other women.

The most upsetting part about this is that it happens in real life, often. Remember Brock Turner? This Stanford athlete was only sentenced to six months in prison with three years probation (and was let out of prison three months earlier) when he could have been sentenced six years. The judge let him off easy because he was concerned for Brock's mental health. Seriously?!

The judge in Jessica's case did the same thing. God forbid that Bryce suffers a little in jail even though he changed Jessica's life forever. We don't want to give our athletes participation trophies, but we don't want to punish them according to their actions either.

Okay, let's move onto some good news.

Jessica's speech before Bryce is sentenced is one of the positive things to come out of this show. All the female characters on the show come to share their story of sexual harassment and assault. It was a powerful nod to the #metoo movement.

Although the trial didn't end up the way we wanted, Jessica speaking out was a victory in itself. And the fact that all her friends stood by her and told her they loved her is what we need. This scene did a great job at showing how we need to support people who have experienced sexual violence and love them no matter what.

2. The service for Hannah

This was a beautiful way to send Hannah off and end her storyline for the show.

Although I'm not religious, I'm glad that they incorporated the Baker parents talking to the reverend and that he said there was no judgement from him. That was a warm moment for the Baker family.

Clay's speech was also a great way to say goodbye to Hannah. He told the truth and didn't fluff it up. He acknowledged that he was mad but that soon the anger will fade and only love will be left.

Hannah's memory watching Clay's speech and then walking out of the church was a tasteful way to say goodbye to the character we all wanted more for.

3. Justin being adoped

This episode is filled with little easter eggs of happiness. I think it's cute that Clay's parents made him ask Justin if he wanted to be adopted. And I'm glad that Justin said yes.

The Jensen's showed some love and compassion to a troubled kid. The world needs a little more of this from day to day.

4. Reasons why not

After the service Hannah's mom gave Clay a list titled "13 Reasons Why Not." Clay was on there twice—once as Clay and the other as Helmet, what Hannah called him. A list of why nots was never mentioned in the book or anywhere else in the series, but it made me smile. Clay deserved to know that Hannah did love him.

I also got a cozy feeling when Olivia said she was moving to New York for Hannah. It was a light moment in a dark show to see a mom achieving her child's dream.

It's too bad that Hannah's "Reasons Why Not" list only had 11 reasons. It's actually a very depressing thought.

5. The bullying/assault scene

This scene was unnecessary. I understood the message they wanted to send, but they could have either toned it down or removed it and implied it. That kind of violence is unnecessary to see a teenager go through.

Montgomery is a ridiculous excuse for a human. He goes absolutely insane and severely beats Tyler.

I wish they didn't have this scene. The only reason I feel they put it in there for was to give Tyler a reason to go back to his old self after recovering at his camp. They used Tyler's mental health deterioration to set up the show for a third season and I don't like that. I angers me that he's the only one that isn't healing.

6. Justin using again

I can't say that I was shocked, but I was definitely disappointed. He's an addict—he'll always be one. He is also going through a sh**ty time in his life and that's going to lead him to using in hopes of "taking the edge off."

I liked how they showed young Justin watch older Justin inject the heroin into his foot. It made me more sad for Justin than mad at him.

I found it interesting that Justin injected it into his foot rather to hide it from his friends. It was a true sign of how deep addiction runs through Justin. I gathered that it meant he didn't want his friends to outcast him for using again, but he felt like it was necessary for him to use to stay "normal."

7. Tony's new boyfriend

How cute was it that his new boyfriend showed up to the dance? Not only are they a supportive couple, Tony is a latino male who likes cars and his boyfriend, Caleb, is a black male who is a boxing trainer. Talk about breaking some stereotypes.

8. Bringing back "The Night We Met"

Clay and Hannah's song makes a reappearance during the dance and it hit me right in the feels. Not only can this song put you in the feels with no context, but all the pains of season one came back and hit me in the chest like a to of bricks.

The fact that all the characters stop what their doing and come and comfort Clay makes me believe that there is still hope for these characters.

I wish the season and series ended right here. It would have been a perfect ending. It showed that some pain would be left over from Hannah's death, but that all the characters would be there to support each other.

Boom. End show. But no. We can't have that.

9. Jessica and Justin's makeout sesh

Why why why why why whywhywhywhywhy?

The teenage mind is a complex thing, but it knows that cheating is wrong. Jessica and Alex just affirmed that they were dating and then Justin and Jessica go an smash face with each other.

Let's break down my feelings about this scene one at a time.

First, how dare Jessica?! She knew she was with Alex and this is going to break his heart when he finds out.

Second, how dare Justin?! He knew that Jessica and Alex were together and he didn't do stop it from happening. I get he is still in love with Jessica, but come on. Alex is your friend.

Third, go Jessica! This is the first time we have seen her happily kiss someone after being raped. She kissed Alex earlier in the season, but it triggered her memories and she pulled away. She also kissed that random boy at the restaurant, but regretted it later. Now, she is slaying the game with Justin.

I'm glad that she is healing; I just wish she broke up with Alex first.

10. Clay confronting Tyler

I did not like this scene. Clay should not have confronted Tyler when he came to the school. When the group learned that Tyler was coming to shoot students, they should have locked all the doors immediately and called the cops.

I know too many stories of school shootings where someone who confronted the shooter ended up dying. If you are ever in danger of a shooter, don't try to be a hero. Get to safety.

Heroes are selfless people, but your parents and friends would rather you be alive.

In Clay's case, Tyler did step down, but that doesn't mean this happens in real life. I don't like that this moment implies that the shooter will stop if you talk them out of it.

I know that the producers and directors did it for dramatic effect, but it doesn't sit well with me. I know Tyler is in a bad place and that the justice system might not get him the help he needs, but it wasn't Clay's responsibility to save him.

11. Overall thoughts

This show, even this episode have a lot of layers that I could peel back and write about forever.

I am disappointed that they left the show open for a third season. It is a business at the end of the day and this show makes money. However, for the character's sake, I wish they ended it and cut everyone a break.

This show draws attention to some big topics and starts a necessary conversation. Some scenes are hard to watch, especially in this final episode, but no one would talk about it if is wasn't controversial.

One thing is for sure, this show faces current issues head on and doesn't beat around the bush. You can count on me for watching season three.

If you are in a crisis or need help, please call the National Suicide Prevention Line at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or the Suicide Crisis Line at 1-800-784-2433. Or you can text "HOME" to 741741