13 Pieces Of Motivation To Finish The Semester Strong And Make It To Summer

With finals approaching, look forward to summertime!

147
Kathleen Messmer

You've done it. You've made it this far. The end of the semester is almost here. It seems so close, yet so far. Exams, projects, and papers are all piling up. You feel as if you are drowning in schoolwork. And to top it off, finals are slowly creeping up. Lovely.

BUT YOU CAN DO IT!

We are in this together people! If you are anything like me, you are trying anythingpossible to find any kind of motivation to get you through the next few weeks. What is motivating you to push through the rest of the semester? For me, it is thinking of everything this summer will hold. Whether you are home for the summer, traveling, have an internship, or studying abroad, I'm sure you have something you are looking forward to this summer! Here are a few things I am looking forward to that motivate me and maybe they can motivate you too!

1. No Class - DUH!

Unless you are taking an online class or summer classes, this summer should be school free! No assignments, exams, class, etc. it's going to be so nice! You can sleep whenever and however long you want! No 7:30 am class and no 8:00 pm exams. Take time to do what you want, it's all yours now.

2. Family

If you are super close to your family like I am, you are definitely looking forward to spending time with them this summer. I am extremely lucky in the fact that my family is able to come visit me often at school. I am also lucky that my older sister is here at Purdue with me. However, there is nothing like being home and all of your family is together under one roof. Being able to see your family over the summer is an amazing blessing, let that be part of your motivation!

3. Hometown Friends

Yes, we have all made incredible new friends at college. Yes, we are going to miss them so much over the summer. But what could be better than catching up with some friends from high school? I was extremely fortunate to have a wonderful group of high school friends in my hometown. Every time we get to see each other over breaks and holidays, it's as if nothing has changed. The same laughs, hugs, tears, and smiles all come back to life. I am ecstatic to be able to spend my summer in my hometown with some of my very best friends!

4. Hometown Favorites

You know that one place you look forward to going to every time you go home? Yeah, you will get to go there as much as you want! How awesome is that! Whether it is your favorite restaurant, store, ice cream shop, etc. you can go there as often as you desire. How can that not motivate you to make it through your finals?

5. Seeing Amazing Places/Things!

If you are going to be traveling at all this summer, surely you are excited to see new places and things wherever you are going! My family and I are going on a vacation this summer and I am so pumped to relax on the beach with my favorite people. Where are you going this summer? What will you see or experience?

6. Campfires

One of my favorite things to do in the summer is to have campfires with my family/friends. Roasting hotdogs, marshmallows, and making smores all make me so excited for summertime! There's nothing better than having a campfire and sharing stories and memories on a warm summer night. While studying for finals and finishing projects, think of all the amazing moments you will share around a campfire with your loved ones this summer.

7. Jeeping

I don't know about you, but Jeeping with your friends in the summer is a must. If you are from a small, rural town like me Jeeping is one of your main sources of entertainment. Grab your best friends, turn up the music, and cruise around the backroads. To make it an even better time, gather some more friends who have Jeeps and start a Jeep caravan!

8. The Lake

Maybe your motivation is knowing you will soon be boating on the lake without a care in the world, I know it's part of mine! My family has a small cabin at a lake at home and we love to spend time there over the summer. We go out there to go boating, tubing, skiing, and just enjoying the lake view. I can't wait to spend time with my family, cruising over the glossy lake in the sunshine.

9. Ice Cream

Without a doubt, my dessert preference would be creamy, delicious ice cream. What is better than ice cream in the summertime?! In the summer, my friends and I love to drive around to different ice cream places, enjoying all of our favorites. One of my absolute favorite places to go is a local joint called The Dairy Barn, and enjoy an Oreo/Reece's combo "blizzard" type treat. Knowing I can get one when I am done with exams is definitely keeping me going.

10. Drive-In Movies

If you haven't been to a drive-in movie in the summertime, I highly suggest it! Grab a couple friends, pack some lawn chairs and blankets, hop in your car and get going! An outdoor movie under the stars with your friends sounds like a pretty awesome summer night to me.

11. Cook Outs

I absolutely love cooking out with my friends or family over the summer. Hamburgers, mac n cheese, fresh salad, and so much more is sure to make your mouth water. Not only is the food amazing, but spending the time together both cooking and eating is so incredibly fun! After dinner, play some games, listen to music, and enjoy the rest of the beautiful night together. I'm sure thinking of some good old cookouts will not only push you to get through the rest of the semester but will make you excited to be done eating at dining courts!

12. Hiking

If you have any good hiking trails near you, I'm sure you are excited to spend time here this summer. Whether you like to hike during a sunrise, sunset, or anywhere in between, there is sure to be a beautiful view! Especially after being cooped up at a desk with your face buried in books, a beautiful outdoor hike is just what we all need.

13. Free Time

After several months of school, clubs, jobs, meetings, etc. we finally have some free time! Even if you are working or taking classes over the summer, hopefully, you have some free time in your schedule to enjoy the summer. I am so excited to be able to relax at home and take in the sweet summertime. As you gear up for finals and push though the rest of the semester, just remember you soon have some well deserved time off coming up!