Here Are 13 Memorable Moments You Missed At The 2019 Oscars

Actors and filmmakers were honored in Los Angeles on Sunday night.

608
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiFkVp-R088
YouTube

The Oscars are by far the most prestigious of the awards shows. For the first time in 30 years, there was no host, but that didn't stop the night from being one to remember. Nominees took home their first ever Oscars, and we got to see some vets add another Academy Award under their belt.

In case you missed the 2019 Oscars, here's a rundown of the night's most memorable moments.

1. Queen and Adam Lambert's opening performance.

Adam Lambert took the place of Freddie Mercury to open the Oscars with Queen. If you're like me, you would've been hoping for them to sing Bohemian Rhapsody, or at least just a snippet of the song. Instead, the group sang "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions." No disappointments though; any Queen song is a good song.

2. Maya Rudolph, Tina Fey, and Amy Poehler open the show.

Three of Hollywood's funniest ladies opened the Oscars, revealing that, no, they aren't the hosts this evening. The group cracked jokes about celebrities in the audience and did impressions of nominees. They gave away the first award of the night, which was Outstanding Supporting Actress, and Amy Poehler gave a little insight to how she feels about the category.

"Although, in my experience, all actresses are outstanding supporting actresses because women naturally support each other."

3. Regina King wins best supporting actress...with the help of Chris Evans.

Captain America takes no days off. Regina King won her first Oscar for her role in "If Beale Street Could Talk," and was fixing her dress before she went onstage. Chris Evans offered his arm to her to help her get up the stairs, and everyone's heart melted.

Regina was one of the first winners of the night, and it was obvious that she was more than grateful for being recognized. Tears streamed down her face as she gave her speech, and she even gave a shoutout to her mom, who she brought as her date.

4. Emilia Clarke's "Game of Thrones" reference while presenting.

A documentary titled "RBG" after Ruth Bader Ginsburg snagged a nomination for Best Original Song, which was performed by Jennifer Hudson. The performance was introduced by Emilia Clarke, who went on to say Khaleesi has nothing on Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

The Game of Thrones star addressed "RBG" directly, saying, "Justice Ginsburg, if you'd ever like to borrow the dragons, ring me."

5. "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse" wins best animated film.

Beating out both "Incredibles 2" and "Ralph Breaks the Internet" was "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse." This film focuses on teenager Miles Morales, who becomes the Spider-Man of his reality, and meets other "Spidermen" from different dimensions. This film shows that anyone can be a superhero, and the win was well deserved among those nominated.

6. "I can't believe a movie about menstruation just won an Oscar."

The winner for Best Documentary Short was "Period. End of Sentence," which focuses on Indian women fighting the stigma against menstruation and their process of gaining access to sanitary feminine products. Accepting the award was Rayka Zehtabchi and Melissa Berton, who were in awe that a movie about periods won an Academy Award.

The women left the stage by saying, "A period should end a sentence, not a girl's education." That is a powerful message that can resonate with any women out there, and make them realize how lucky they are to have the resources they do.

7. Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper's performance was HOT.

The duo from "A Star is Born" performed their hit song, and the chemistry between them lit the room on fire. There have been rumors that these two are hooking up on the low, especially since Gaga just broke off her engagement to Christian Carino.

However, the two claim they just have a very close bond. Cooper's baby mama, Irina Shayk, was also in attendance, sitting directly between him and Gaga.

Their performance was magical, and I'm really hoping these two end up together eventually. They can give us the ending Ally and Jackson deserved: happily ever after!

8. "Shallow" wins Best Original Song.

Lady Gaga picked up her 3rd Academy Award this year by winning Best Original Song from "A Star is Born". During her speech, she thanked the men she wrote with for believing in her and told Bradley Cooper there is no one on Earth that could've sang this song with her but him.

She told those listening at home that getting to where she was has taken a lot of hard work, but it isn't about winning. "It's about not giving up. If you have a dream, fight for it."

9. Spike Lee's reaction to winning Best Adapted Screenplay...

Lee took home the Oscar for his movie "BlacKkKlansman", and he couldn't have been more excited. Dressed in an all purple suit, with a hat to match, Lee ran up onstage to deliver a speech he's been waiting for his whole career to deliver.

Announcing the winner was Samuel L. Jackson, and Spike Lee jumped into his arms when he went up to accept his award.

10. Rami Malek wins Best Actor for his role of Freddie Mercury!

Rami Malek snagged the win for best actor and discussed how he could've never dreamed of being here when he was little. Rami also revealed he is a first generation American; his parents are from Egypt. His inspirational speech was one of the most memorable moments of the night.

"Part of my story is being written right now, and I could not be more grateful to each and every one of you, and everyone who believed in me for this moment," he said. "It's something I will treasure for the rest of my life."

He even gave a shoutout to Lucy Boynton, who played his on-screen love in the movie, and is his real-life girlfriend. "Lucy Boynton, you're the heart of this film. You are beyond immensely talented. You have captured my heart. Thank you so much." How sweet!

11. Olivia Colman is the surprise winner for Best Actress.

Olivia Colman won an Academy Award for her role of Queen Anne in "The Favourite," but she was not expecting the win. Her surprised look and tear-filled eyes showcased her shock, and she even said, "This is hilarious, I've got an Oscar."

Her heartfelt speech was filled with authenticity, exemplifying how honored she felt to win the award. She even hoped her kids were watching, because "this was never going to happen again." Her humor and grace made her win one of the most memorable moments of the night.

12. "Green Book" wins Best Picture.

Produced by the lovely Octavia Spencer, "Green Book" tells the story of an unlikely friendship between an African American pianist and an Italian-American man who works as his driver. Although this tale of interracial friendship went home with the win for Best Picture, many others in the category were upset about the Academy's pick.

Director Spike Lee, whose film "BlacKkKlansman" was also nominated, said, "the refs made a bad call" by picking "Green Book" as the winner. Chadwick Boseman turned to his "Black Panther" co-star, Michael B. Jordan, giving a look that showcased his disapproval as well.

13. Goodnight to Bradley Cooper's mother.

Bradley Cooper brought his longtime girlfriend, Irina Shayk, with him to the Oscars, but he also had another guest with him on the red carpet: his mother! This petite and fabulous woman was given a shoutout by Julia Roberts, who closed out the show by saying "I would love to say congratulations to all the nominees, and good night to Bradley Cooper's mother."

A prestigious night filled with new winners and memorable moments. Next up in the awards season: The Tonys. See you in June!