13 Things I Wish I Knew My Freshman Year Of College

If you don't like coffee...start liking coffee. Now.

13

I am now almost halfway done with my senior year of college. I recently applied for graduation, I'm perfecting my resume, and I'm ready to take on the real world. I wouldn't dare change my college experience. I've made great friends and worked very hard. But there are a few things I wish I knew my freshman year of college.

1. Your first friends probably won't be your best friends.

There are so many people that I fell off with from my freshman year. Luckily, a year or two into college, I found the best friends I've ever had.

2. Your long distance relationship with your high school boyfriend doesn't necessarily have to be "the one."

I know plenty of people that have maintained their relationships with their high school sweethearts. But I also know people (myself included) who spent their entire freshman year trying to make an LDR work. We broke up. I was sad. But I moved on and am doing better than ever.

3. Freshman 15 is real.

Take care of your body! If this means turning down the late night pizza after the bars, then do it. Senior year you will thank you for it.

4. Don't ever leave a fellow gal pal alone.

Is she super drunk at that party or bar? STAY WITH HER. TAKE HER HOME. Whatever it takes. Friends don't leave friends behind.

5. Don't try to change a player.

Did he make it clear to you that he was only in it for the sex? Don't stick around hoping he'll change his mind. He probably won't and he probably sucks anyways.

6. It's okay to turn down a night of partying to stay in and study or watch movies.

7. But it's also okay to party.

Don't overdo it, but remember... these are the best years of your life.

8. There's a good chance you're going to grow apart from your high school friends.

But this doesn't mean they don't still love you. They'll always have your back.

9. Living with roommates isn't easy.

You will probably fight. That's okay. Just deal with it.

10. You don't have to join Greek Life to have a fulfilling college experience.

But you should definitely get involved on campus somehow.

11. But...if you do join Greek Life, do not listen to the rumors about each chapter.

Join the chapter you feel most comfortable with. Your gut is almost always right.

12. If you don't like coffee...start liking coffee.

Enough said.

13. And finally, college is going to be over before you know it. Make the most of it.