13 Chicago Activities Made for Springtime

My favorite place to enjoy any weather that a Chicago spring day can throw at you.

112
www.asbi.org

Speaking as someone who was born, raised and has spent the bigger majority of her life in Chicago, I can confidently say that spring 2017 has been unlike any other. What I mean is that we actually have a spring season here for once! While it is all thanks to climate change, which is terrifying, I still think we should enjoy the beautiful weather we have been given while we have it. Here is a list of a few activity in the Chicagoland Area that are lovely places to enjoy all kinds of spring weather days.

1. Cuneo Museum

The Cuneo Mansion, now owned by Loyola University, is one of Chicago's Historical Home Museums is full of incredible rooms and gardens to explore. It's such a beautiful estate that for years it was an infamous wedding venue, it was even the location for the wedding in My Best Friend's Wedding (1997), starring Julia Roberts. Sadly, they no longer rent it out for weddings and events. However, you can still go on the mansion and garden tours, which is well worth the one hour drive from the city to Vernon Hills

Cost: TBD (they're currently under renovation but are due to open back up soon!)

2. Garfield Park Conservatory

The Garfield Park Conservatory is a wonderful oasis, off of the Green Line. The Conservatory is the perfect activity for these weary April days. Humid and warm inside and the outdoor gardens will be open before you know it!

Cost: Free!

3. Lincoln Park Conservatory and Zoo

The Lincoln Park Zoo has made all sorts of changes and strides in wildlife conservation over the last couple years. Stare at adorable baby rhinos, walk through the beautiful conservatory, or walk along their new bike and hike trail.

Cost: Free!

4. 606 Trail

I am a walking person, I walk everywhere. Any new place specifically to walk with a beautiful view, I fully support.

Cost: Free!

5. Chicago Critics Film Festival

The Chicago Critics Film Festival will be celebrating its sixth year May 12-May 18 at the Music Box Theatre.

Cost: $12-15 per individual screenings, $75-$150 for various passes.

6. Chicago Botanic Gardens

The Chicago Botanic Gardens is a hidden gem of the Chicagoland Area. You can easily take the Union Pacific North Line Metra from Ogilvie Transportation Center to Braeside or you can take the 45-minute drive from the city to Glencoe. Trust me, it's worth it.

Cost: Free admission, $20 parking, $13 two-way Metra pass.

7. Morton Arboretum

The Morton Arboretum is a sweet oasis for trees in Lisle, Illinois. Worth another trip! You are able to take the Burlington/Santa Fe Metra to Lisle but it's about two miles from there so you can walk from there or take a five-minute cab ride. Definitely worth paying your friends with a car for gas and taking them with you.

Cost: $14

8. The Art Institute of Chicago

The Art Institute of Chicago really needs no introduction. There is nothing I love more than taking myself on a date to this place on a cloudy day.

Cost: $16-25 depending on your status of residence and if you are a student. Pssst...You get in free with your Columbia ID!

9. National Museum of Mexican Art

That's right, we have the National Museum of Mexican Art in our city! If you're living in Chicago and you've never been, get yourself down to there in Pilsen ASAP.

Cost: Free!

10. Chicago Architecture Boat Tour

This is a great way to see the City in a way that you wouldn't normally see it. Definitely opt for the one that does both the Chicago River and Lake Michigan.

Cost: $46-49 per person.

11. Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum

The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum is another gem hidden in Lincoln Park, right by the Zoo. The Butterfly Room itself is worth the trip!

Cost: $9 admission.

12. The Second City

Catch a show at the world famous comedy club, or even enroll yourself in an adult improvisation class for fun! It's not just for actors, trust me--I am not an actor but I am a writer and have taken classes there and all sorts of people take the classes for a number of reasons. Other alumni include Tina Fey, Stephen Colbert, Steve Carell, Rachel Dratch, Amy Poehler, Keegan Michael Key, Amy Sedaris, Adam McKay and Seth Meyers, among many other legends.

Cost: ticket sales range from $12-$36 depending on the show you attend. Classes range from around $310-360.

13. Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago

The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago is another gem. While it is highly recognized and adored in the art world, it does not get nearly the same traffic and influx as the Art Institute. Broaden your horizons!

Cost: Suggested admission is $12 (basically you can give any amount you want--the money goes to the museum). And Illinois residents are free on Tuesdays!