12 tips for working from home

12 tips for working from home

Organizations recommend employees work from home to help protect them from the threat of a new strain of coronavirus (COVID-19).

46
12 tips for working from home

Organizations recommend employees work from home to help protect them from the threat of a new strain of coronavirus (COVID-19). Many businesses are urging staff to work from home to try to curtail the spread of germs and keep the team safe.

Before the global health crisis, working remotely was more common than ever. Based on a recent Gallup survey, 43 percent of Americans worked from home at least occasionally. Additionally, according to a PwC survey, 55 percent of executives anticipate their employees to work from home at least once per week, even after COVID-19 is no longer a threat.

Flexible work hours may sound like a dream, but it's intimidating for those who aren't used to it. Those who crave those flexible work hours may feel as if they're throwing their lives out of balance. It may perhaps take time to get used to the new schedule.

Business Innovation

Simply put, innovation is coming up with a new way to do things. In business innovation, new ways are introduced with the aim of earning more money for the business.

As a business concept, innovation applies to various products, services, policies, and efforts made to increase the profitability of an organization. It could include new products meant to serve customers better or new programs to help employees to communicate better about the projects they are working on.Business innovation comes into play every time you are trying to find new ways to improve your business.

Beast place for Business Innovation

Canadian Institute of International Business is a global education provider located in Canada. We focus on the delivery of highly practical business education for individuals and business organizations. CIIB offers courses in the areas of General Business, Human Resources, Portfolio, Program & Project Management, and Leadership. We cultivate and nurture multi-cultural and support the exchange of knowledge in a collaborative environment.

Out students receive practical top-notch business insights, skills, and knowledge form practicing business leaders with dozens of years of practical experience in their fields. These skills enable our students to develop the confidence to approach any professional real-life business situation.

HOW TO WORK FROM HOME

1. Create an exclusive workspace

The guaranteed way to make sure your time at home is productive is to create a defined space that can function as your office. A spare guest room can double as a home office, or even a tiny corner of your kitchen table will be sufficient.

Once you have chosen the space, turn it into a professional work environment. The right furniture and lighting can make a huge difference. An office chair and desk are ideal, but any table or counter will do. If you plan to work from home for the long-term, you'll need to advance to actual office fittings. Working from a bed or couch—which you are probably used to associating with relaxation—is not an option.

2. Have the Proper Technology

If you're working from home with a laptop, it's easy to get going. But, if you work on the computer all day long, you might want to invest in an additional monitor and a separate keyboard. Whether your employer provides or covers the equipment's cost, it's up to you to purchase the necessary equipment needed to work at home.

Other equipment and technology to consider: Table lamp, High-speed internet access, Printer for printing out important documents, Landline for steady phone communication, camera for virtual conferences

3. Establish strict working hours

It can be tempting for people who work from home to get distracted and start tidying up around the house or checking social media. To avoid distracting yourself, try to work on a schedule. Set boundaries for other people in your household and make it clear that you're not there to run errands or provide rides. While it can be tempting to work from home, working too much can lead to burnout and make you feel isolated. It's important to set boundaries for home and work time. For example, shut off all devices at night and set a specific time to start your workday.

4. Get Dressed for Work

One way to set up an effective work environment at-home is to dress up as if you're heading into the office. It can be tempting to be in your sleepwear all day or avoid a bath, but you should fight the urge.

Your clothes have an impact on your mental state. If you look like you're dressed for bed, your brain will think it's bedtime. Putting on a suit or an official dress will get you in the work frame of mind.

5. Make "Work" Friends

A possible loss when you work from home is the opportunity to collaborate, work together, or talk with your colleagues. Schedule meetings with them to brainstorm or catch up by phone.

If you prefer to have social time with your colleagues, you could make some local friends who also work from home. Invite them to coffee at your favourite local shop. They can offer you the same social time that you would have gotten from your office friends.

6. Stay Connected with Your Team

To be successful in your tiny home office, you should maintain a healthy social life. Besides, it would be best if you stay connected to your team.

As a manager, you might face new challenges with managing remote employees. It may be difficult for you to encourage collaboration, foster engagement, and ensure productivity with a dispersed team. Keep the communication lines open amongst you and your team throughout the workday to work together toward common goals effectively.

As an individual contributor, it's essential to communicate with your boss and coworkers regularly. For example, you can use Microsoft Office 365 groups (like Teams or Planner) to stay in touch throughout the day.

7. Limit Distractions

At your home office, distractions abound. The television is blaring; the dog needs a walk; the baby needs to be fed. For instance, doing a load of laundry while you're supposed to be working can hinder your productivity.

8. Coordinate with Others in the home

If your household has more than one freelancer working from home, it's essential to be respectful of each other.

Having your schedule disrupted by others can be frustrating. To avoid this, communicate with them in advance about your plans, and they will do the same for you. For example, if you have video calls during the day, tell coworkers and schedule them in advance to plan accordingly.

WORKING FROM HOME SUCCESSFULLY

There are a lot of pluses to working from home. You can save time by doing more work and spending time with your family. With a bit of organization and following these tips, you can be happy and productive working from home and have more time for the things you love.