12 Things You Know To Be True If You're A Cashier

382
Google images

Working in a grocery store is definitely not the most glamorous job out there, but it’s a job none the less. As a cashier, it can be a long day standing at that register either because we are just standing there waiting for the customers or we have a crazy long line that may contain aggravated customers or soon to be aggravated customers. As a cashier these are some things you may experience:

1. PLU codes

When you get back to work for the summer you may forgotten some codes for the fruits and vegetables. Please don’t yell the price per pound I know peaches are $1.29 a pound but there is a certain code I have to put in and it may take a second for me to look it up.

2. When something rings up the wrong price

Please don’t get angry. Sorry your bread rang up $2.99 instead of $2.00 sometimes the system has the wrong price logged in. I’m not manually putting in the prices for all your groceries, just hold on a sec and I'll change it.

3. Can you tell me how much this is?

It’s okay if you come and ask for a price check on an item, but if you come up asking me to check the prices for your entire cart I am going to be annoyed. Hello?! There are prices on the shelves for a reason.

4. "I printed it out this morning"

When a customer hands you $100 bill and says “I printed it out this morning”. Haha, sir, very funny.... that’s the first time I heard that one. Still have to check it, it’s my job.

5. Are you paying debit or credit?

For credit, I need to see ID. "Seriously, for $30 you need to see ID this is ridiculous." Listen, I know it may seem stupid, but don’t get annoyed with me, I’m just doing my job and your wallet is out anyway so what’s the problem?

6. The worst question you could ask: “Are you open?”

Nope, I’m just standing here with my light on for my health. Hello, open your eyes. If I’m not open, I wouldn’t be standing here

7. Paying in change

I get it everyone hates carrying around coins, but please don't pay your $15 bill in coins, especially when there's people behind you because now you made the rest of the line aggravated. Thank you sir, I really appreciate it

8. When a customer goes to hand you money just after they sneezed and/or coughed on it.

I really try my hardest not to make a disgusted face, but it's gross. Please direct your snot the other way.

9. When a customer starts arguing about prices and says they are never coming back here again.

Well, thank god because ya know what? I don’t care. See ya later. Then you see them the next week. Ugh.

10. “You should smile more, you have such a pretty face”.

Thank you ma’am I appreciate that, but if you were standing here all day, you’d understand why I have a bit of a RBF.

11. When you see a person shopping with a WIC check.

I don’t know about the rest of the cashiers out there, but I always try to hide from these customers. "Oh you have throwbacks, I’ll run it back for you”

12. When a customer loads the belt by throwing their items on it.

Umm.. excuse me ma’am, how would you like it if I came to your work and throw stuff at you? And please don’t throw your money at me, it’s just as rude.