12 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting College

Freshman year of college is definitely not like freshman year of high school...

91

Dear college freshman,

Classes start dates are slowly approaching and I'm sure that you're feelings all kind of emotions right now. Excitement, nervousness, sadness, which are all normal, trust me. I was so excited to move four hours away from home to start a new chapter in my life as a college student. College life is not something you can prepare for, it's something that you are just going to have to learn as you go and you'll certainly pick up pretty quickly. Here are just a few things that I wish someone would of told me when I was starting my first semester and would of made adjusting to college life so much easier.

1. No one cares about how cool you look at campus.

Honestly worrying about "fitting in" and having the latest fashion trends is pointless in college. People wear whatever is comfortable and you'll even see the occasion PJ pant in your 8 a.m. class. Nobody even seems to notice what people wear or how expensive your wardrobe is, so don't spend hours picking out your outfit.

2. Don't be scared to go out and make friends.

Go participate in all the freshman mixer activities no matter how lame they are. That can be your conversation starter. Everyone is on the same boat and you will never know who can become you're next best friend. Sure you'll always have your roommates, but they will get tried of you just as you of them since you guys will spend so much time in the dorms together, just go out and be friendly and you'll never know who you'll meet.

3. The Freshman 15 Is real.

College is so great since you can go to the café or out to eat with friends and not have to worry about cooking at all, but with that you have to watch what you're putting into your body. If you're mindful and don't just eat ice cream and greasy foods everyday, you'll be just fine. Along with regular exercise, the freshman 15 is easily avoidable -- just don't go nuts.

4. Coffee will soon become your best friend (if it isn't already).

I managed to survive high school without a single drop of coffee, but that all changed when I hit college. Coffee has become a daily ritual now and a necessity when I'm on my late night study sessions. So even if you say you hate coffee, you'll hate being tired everyday even more and just give in and drink the coffee.

5. Skipping class is not a good idea no matter how tired you are.

I know everyone is probably telling you this, but its true don't skip class. Yes, if you're really sick, don't go to class and get everyone else infected because sickness travels fast at college. For me skipping class stressed me out more than going to it and even if notes are posted online, you might miss out on an important announce that is said in class.

6. Going home for the first time is going to feel very strange.

College changes you. The first time going home to the house I grew up in for 18 years was like a foreign country to me. Everything just seem to different and opposite of college. This is all part of growing up. Once you're home for a few days, things will become similar again and you'll soon enjoy the comfort of home again.

7. You may think you know how to properly study, but chances are you really don't.

Memorizing facts from a little textbook filled with 16-point font is not the same as developing an understanding of all these random theories that you've never heard of before. College test are a huge part of your grade and are typically harder than your hardest test in high school. You'll figure out what studying techniques work for you in no time and don't forget, there is always tutor there to help, it's what they are paid for.

8. Really do sit in the front few rows in each class.

Sitting in the back is all fun and games until that one big headed kid sits right in front of you and you can't read a single word that is being written on the chalkboard. Plus, if you're in the front, you're more likely to pay attention and even get your professor to like you which can help when exam time comes.

9. Don't forget to schedule time for yourself to just relax and unwind.

It's so easy to make friends in college, which will help you get involved in different events like athletics, clubs, greek life and academics, but don't forget to find a release to. Having your life planned out every second with being involved with so much can be so overwhelming and stressful especially if you're not good at time management. Get yourself a planner and write everything down no matter how small the event is. It will help!

10. Boys really haven't matured much from high school, so don't get your hopes up.

If anything, guys have regressed because this is the first time everyone is living on their own. Us ladies tend to still understand that we have responsibilities, guys are still a few years behind and we just got to be patient with them. Don't fall for their games, but don't be closed off to everyone because you'll never know who you may meet.

11. Go out to that party even if you have a test the next day.

College can be stressful, so go out and have fun. Plan ahead and study days ahead of time so you can go out and enjoy yourself. Don't spend your entire college years with your head in a book. These are suppose to be the best years of your life and you have to live life while you are still young.

12. College is entirely what you make of it.

Nobody is there to hold your hand anymore. You are an adult now and you have to start making your own decisions and be responsible for yourself. Go out and have fun, but don't forget that you are also there to get an education and plan for your future. College is the perfect place to learn that balance and get you ready to be released into the real world after you walk across that stage in your robe on graduation day with diploma in hand.