12 Things To Know If You Want To Be A Pre-Med Student

A survivor's guide to getting to medical school.

655
unsplash.com

Every student who is pre-med has heard it over and over again. Freshmen are given a list of priorities that are required to be applicable for medical school that have to get done in such a short amount of time. Along the way, there are also a lot of unexpected lessons to be learned.

1. Research

Most people who want to go to medical school love to interact with people. It is one of the main reasons why they want to become a doctor. However, there is a certain amount of research hours that medical schools require. Research is surprising. It is many long hours in the lab, running tests that take up time, and then waiting to get results. Research can also be limited. Most of the projects that are wanted are full or the school may not have them available. It can be exhausting, especially when there is not a lot of interaction with others.

2. Clinical hours/shadowing hours

You can't expect to get into medical school without having some health care experience. There are many ways to do this. There is getting a job as a CNA or as an EMT. These jobs are great for getting experience, but they are time-consuming. Most often, they need to be done over the summer as a full-time job or as a part-time job while going to school. Shadowing isn't easy either because it takes a lot of phone calls or knowing someone.

3. Competition, competition, competition

Medical School is not easy to get into to. Each student has to make sure that they stand out apart from all of the other applicants. That means that there is going to be competition. Who can do the most interesting research, get the most shadowing experience, where everyone works as a CNA, who got the best grade on the organic chemistry exam. Being in competition with all of the other fellow pre-med students is exhausting after a while. There is even a breaking point at which someone could start to feel unaccomplished because there are always those who can't stop the competition. I have one word of advice: if all you and your fellow pre-med students talk about is classes and who is doing what to make their resume look good, especially outside of class, like at a hockey game, then take a break and talk about something else. Remember too much of one thing is not always good.

4. Study time

No matter what major, all pre-med students have to take certain classes in order to be considered for medical school - like organic chemistry and anatomy. These are not easy classes. They are hard topics to understand; therefore, they are time-consuming. This is also material that will need to be reviewed when the MCAT comes around. It is not information that can be learned at one point and then forgotten about. Thus, it is important to have some quality study time.

5. Activities

Everyone is doing the volunteer work. There are those at hospitals, camps, and events. Again, that is all good and important, but have some fun with the activities. Volunteer at a camp for children who are fighting a horrible disease, but allow them the chance to have some fun. Get a part-time job on campus where you can meet people; for example, be a tour guide or in admissions. Get a job through the athletic center that allows you to be a part of your school's sports team where you can help promote the school spirit. Volunteering at a hospital is good, but it isn't always worth it if all you are doing is stacking towels in the rooms for only two hours a week. The activities shouldn't be dull, but rather fruitful.

6. Traveling and studying abroad

This is not always the most conducive for college students. Traveling or studying abroad will always mean extra money out of the pocket. Many college students have to take out loans during their undergraduate, and for sure, medical school. Applications always look impressive if there is experience outside the country, but it is very expensive and not everyone can afford it.

7. Coffee becomes your soul mate

Many days are long and rigorous. It is hard not to go get a cup of coffee; it just becomes a necessity. For those who weren't big coffee drinkers before they went to college, they will quickly learn that if you want to survive undergraduate school, coffee will become an accessory.

8. Forming study groups

There are two different types of people who study. The ones who don't want any interaction and the ones who say that they want to be in a big group, but in reality will discuss only what they want with only specific people. Again, the classes are hard so everyone is trying to find the people with whom they believe will benefit their understanding. Some people will even go to lengths to ask for help, but when it comes to helping others, they will turn their cheek. Finding good people to study with isn't as simple as it may seem. In the end, there is always the professor or tutors who can answer the questions.

9. Remembering what the overall goal is

There are times when it feels like it is not worth it. The classes can be depending, the requirements are time-consuming, and the activities are hard to apply for. Be realistic: there have been times where giving up looks like a good option. However, taking a breath is important to think. Why do you want to go to medical school? What is the goal? Is the all of the hard work going to pay off? Breathe! Medicine is one of the most difficult professions in the world, but so much is possible. Remembering the goal is what will remind you to keep going.

10. Get away from the books

To go to medical school, you do need to know a lot of material, but don't let the books take over. Get out, go to the movies, go to a hockey game, go out to eat, interact with other human beings. If you stick to the books for too long, they will eventually glue themselves to you and they are will be with you everywhere you go. Remember, doctors are supposed to be caregivers, not stuck-up know-it-alls. There is nothing worse than when a doctor walks into the room thinking that they are a celebrity in their own little world. If you eventually want to be a successful doctor, then remember human lesson number one: act like a normal human being.

11. Think outside of the box

One thing that medical schools admire are activities that make the applicant stand out from the other students. Again, everyone does the clinical hours, shadowing hours, volunteer hours, do well in all of the classes, and the research. So, do something different. Show them that there is a reason why you should stand out and be accepted from the other people applying. You need to sell the idea that you are going to be a better student and doctor than the others. That can be accomplished by different experiences. Do an internship somewhere besides a hospital or laboratory. Do an internship in New York City at a production company. Go work at a theme park in Florida for a summer. It is these differences, and how you present them on your application, that will help get you into medical school.

12. Don't take yourself seriously

It looks like a lot. It looks like you have a list where everything needs to be checked off right away. Everything needs to be done in the perfect way and better than anyone else. If this is the attitude you have as a pre-med student, then you are not going to survive. Medical schools want people who are going to be sensitive and compassionate to their patients. If you go into the medical school interview with an attitude that reads, I am the best and know it, they are not going to be impressed. Also, your fellow pre-med students will quickly become annoyed, but you will need them in case you are stuck on remembering all of nerves and bones in the body.

Medicine is already a hard field even when you are not yet in medical school. It takes a lot of dedication and persistence. There will be some difficult obstacles that can stand in the way. However, they are nothing that can't be conquered. There are multiple ways to expand your resume and successfully get accepted to medical school. However, make sure there are times to have fun because no one wants a doctor who kills the mood before they even begin talking. Also, stay strong. There will be times where it feels like all of the hard work will be for nothing. Remember, hitting yourself with a hammer over and over again may seem intense, but it feels so good when you stop.