12 Things People From Silsbee, TX Know To Be True

We love our small town.

343
Bill Clark

Silsbee, Texas, is a town of just over 6,000 people. The tiny town is nestled in the heart of the Piney Woods, and is surrounded by the Big Thicket National Preserve. We have a few red lights, lots of fast food and a Wal-Mart; meaning, we have just about all a person needs. There isn't a lot going on in Silsbee, Texas, but it is, and always will be, my first home. People from Silsbee will relate to the following twelve things:

1. You know that the train will get you every. single. time.

Y'all know this is true. It will make you late for school or work, because more often than not, it just stalls on the tracks. Added bonus: When you try to go around it, it will still find you.

2. Speaking of the train -- you know all of the back-roads due to trying to out-run it.

3. You know that Gunslinger's Grill has the best burgers around.

This little place is located just north of the city limits off of Ponderosa Drive. Try their burgers; you won't be disappointed.

4. The Christmas festival ("Christmas In The Big Thicket") is one of the best events of the year.

Silsbee's Christmas festival usually takes place the first Saturday every December, weather permitting. There's food booths, entertainment, and shopping in downtown. That night, there's a Christmas parade, which is great for the kiddos. I personally try to schedule things around this weekend so I can go home and enjoy the festivities!

5. Silsbee natives know that we have more car lots than schools.

I can seriously think of nine car lots in town. After all, we are the car tradin' capital of Southeast Texas!

6. Speaking of cars -- Cruise'n Silsbee is always a fun time.

If you're from Silsbee, you know that the cruise is a big deal around here! (Pictured above is the event schedule for this fall!)

7. If you graduated from Silsbee High School, you know what a huge deal Satsuma is!

Satsuma food days is where it's at! Fried oreos, turkey legs, and chocolate-covered cheesecake are some of the things you'll find here.

8. If you're from Silsbee, you probably love Ms. Shirley's Sno-Cones.

This is the sno-cone shop on the corner, the one across from Family Dollar. You know the one. It is, without a doubt, the best sno cone shop around. (Helpful hint: Ms. Shirley herself is usually there after 3 p.m.!)

9. You understand that getting food after 11 p.m. is not an easy feat.

Thank God for Whataburger and the 24 hour McDonald's drive thru. Speaking of Whataburger, you can find the entire town there following home high school football games on Friday nights.

10. You know that the Pines Theatre is the best place in town on a Tuesday.

Seriously, y'all. Movie tickets are less than $5, and popcorn and drinks are $2! There's only one screen, though, so make sure a movie to your liking is showing before you head that way!

11. We take high school football seriously. Many SHS alumni return for home games, especially Homecoming.

12. You know that you will always consider Silsbee home, and it will always hold a special place in your heart.

Whether your story began here, or you moved here later in life, we take pride in our little town. Silsbee, Texas, is and always will be, my first home. I wouldn't trade it for the world.