12 Unexpected Things You Learn Working At A Produce Market

No, I don't know how this apple was grown.

170
Spuds Produce Market

Working in a local produce market has not only taught me a lot about produce in general but it has been a blast.

Getting to work with neighborhood customers, and learn about fresh fruits and vegetables is anything but boring! When working at a produce market, the first thing you have to learn is codes.

Learning a hundred plus codes is not the easiest task, but it is a skill that will be useful as long as I can remember them, especially once I learned that these PLU codes are universal!

1. Stack 'em high watch 'em fly.

The golden rule I've been taught, I'd say it's pretty self-explanatory!

2. PLU codes are universal.

Yes, that means I can go through self-check out at any grocery store even with fruits and vegetables! Or, when the cashier is struggling, I can give 'em a hand a toss a few codes out there for them!

3. How to pick out good fruit

Now, this is a skill I will forever cherish because I will know how to pick the best melons, the perfect ripeness of a fruit and how to decide which vegetables I want. As I am living on my own now, this is a great skill to learn! Plus, not many other college kids can pick out a great watermelon!

4. Unique recipes from your customers

You can always count on customers for a good story, a funny joke or even a good recipe! Not that I have actually tried any of them but if I were more adventurous, or listened a little closer I'm sure they would have been delicious!

5. How to rotate vegetables

After working at Spuds Produce Market, I've learned the in's and out's to rotation of fruits and vegetables. This is also helpful when going to other stores because I know where I can find the ripest fruits or if I want to wait to eat it, where I can find the newest! Rotating is no joke, it ensures you are getting the fruit that is ready to be eaten!

6. People will come in at 6:59.

Not only have I learned that people will come in right before we are closing and still attempt to finish their whole grocery list, I have also learned that I will not be that person because I know what it feels like to be on the other end! But, I've learned of the gratitude from those who know we are closing but need that one last thing.

7. Apples bruise easily.

If they drop, within the second that it bounced on the ground there is already a golf ball sized bruise and there is absolutely nothing you can do to fix it. That means, I have also learned to have quick hands to catch them and to skillfully place as many apples on the display without them tumbling to the floor.

8. Carrots look sad if they don't get enough water.

Local, produce markets love their products so much that they personally spray them, unlike the automatic sprayers you'd see at Safeway. Truth is, we just love our vegetables. Plus, we enjoy making sure our carrots get enough water so they aren't looking sad. Honestly though, carrots look real sad if they don't get enough water.

9. There are SO many codes to learn.

Even though the list of vegetable and fruit codes may look over whelming, they will be useful for life! The list literally looks like it goes on forever, but they actually aren't as hard as they look. If you are doubting how many codes there are, go to a grocery store or a local market and take note of the vegetables and fruits (all of them) and yes, we will have to know those codes! Therefore, please forgive us when we miss a code! No one is perfect and with so many codes and seasonal fruits and vegetables, please be patient if we mess up a code!

10. More opportunities to try new fruits and veggies

I had never tried an apricot before I started working at a produce stand, and they are now my favorite snack! Plus I get to grab them on my way out the door and stock my house with tons of fruits and veggies all the time!

11. How to trim vegetables

This is something that will be useful in the future as I start to cook more! Plus, you could probably make really good small talk by telling people how to trim different vegetables-- okay maybe not!

12. People will assume you know everything.

No, I'm sorry ma'am I don't know exactly how these apples are grown, but what I do know is that they do have to be grown to US standards.