12 Things I've Learned In My First Week Of College Told By Disney Gifs

It's only been a week, but I've definitely learned a whole lot about being a college student.

48
CBS San Francisco

College has already been one of the best experiences of my life and I have barely started. It's only been one week! Despite the short amount of time I've been on campus, I still have learned quite a bit. So, here are 12 things I've learned after my first week of being at college.

1. The people are nicer than you thought.

I knew the people here at Seton Hall were rumored to be very nice, but I didn't expect them to be this nice. Sure you might stumble across a few rotten apples, but at the end of the day, people have grown and are a lot nicer, which is great.

2. It is way easier to make friends.

Because people are nicer, it makes it easier to make friends. And who doesn't love friends?

3. At some point you're going to feel alone.

Even if it's easier to make friends, you'll feel lonely at some point because people become busy. Whether it's because they are studying, have class, etc., you're going to feel like you don't have anyone. It's okay, you're not alone. It comes with being a freshman.

4. You have a fifty fifty chance at scoring an awesome roommate.

I am in the ever so lucky boat of having the best roommate in the history of roommates. But, not everyone is so lucky. It's okay, though, because odds are you'll be out and about anyway or will find something to do to keep you from your room. But when in doubt, just be kind. You'll survive.

5. Classes in college are so much better than high school classes.

I know this and it's only been a week. As much as I loved some of my classes during high school, it still doesn't compare to the level my college classes are at. There's just a certain amount of higher thinking that is required in college that makes me feel great. It's really unexplainable, but it's honestly amazing.

6. ...But at the same time, much more demanding.

Even so, if you thought you were swamped with work before, think again. Most nights I am sitting and reading, writing, taking notes, etc. It is very important to use your time wisely and to be dilligent in your studies. Keeping up with your classes is key to success.

7. You'll be spending A LOT of money.

Thought paying tuition was the last of throwing your money out the window? I hope not, because there's also so many other things you're going to have to pay for. There's textbooks, food, other little necessities for your dorm...the list can go on and on. Be prepared to dig deeper into your wallet, because you're going to need to.

8. You will probably forget to eat at some point.

You check your watch and it's 11:00a.m., so you tell yourself you're going to read for half an hour and then go and get lunch. The next time you look up, it's 2:45p.m. and you still haven't eaten a thing. School becomes such a big priority that you might just slip and forget how to be a human. It's okay, though, because you have enough cases of ramen in your dorm to feed an entire army.

9. You'll probably lock yourself out at least once.

I somehow have not done this yet, but I have come pretty close. You'll get used to bringing your key everywhere eventually (or else add that to the additional money you'll be spending).

10. You're going to stay up or sleep for longer than you intended.

Sometimes, we just lose track of time or hit snooze too many time. I've already lost track of time while doing homework or talking with my roommate that we'll look up and it'll be 3:00a.m. and she has an 8:00a.m. class tomorrow. Or, she'll be running for her 8:00a.m. because she finally woke up at 7:45a.m. It's okay, it happens.

11. You're going to miss home more than you think.

I always thought I'd be okay on my own and have no issue, but there's no doubt I miss home. No matter how prepared you think you are, you'll always miss home, even just a little.

12. Yet, you're happy you're on your own.

Even though sometimes I miss home, I still am so happy to be out and on my own. It's truly such an incredible experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. College is great and is exceeding my expectations. I hope you feel the same, too.