12 Songs To Pick You Up When You’re Down

These songs always help me feel better!
58

Not all days are great, and sometimes we just need a pick-me-up. I find that music is a great way to inspire a better mood!

In no particular order, here are twelve songs I’m sure to pull up on my phone when I’m feeling down.

1. Try Everything (Zootopia)

Let’s face it, knowing me, you’d be surprised if there wasn’t a Disney song on this list. This Shakira – I mean, Gazelle – single from Disney’s Zootopia combines an upbeat tune with a great life philosophy. “I won’t give up, no I won’t give in, til I reach the end, and then I’ll start again!”

2. Young and Positive (Sweet Honey in the Rock)

Speaking of great life philosophies, this is a rap that goes way back to my childhood. I probably didn’t understand all that it was about back then, but it’s definitely a great mantra for people of all ages – “I am young, I am positive, I am the future, I’m gonna tell it like it is, I won’t let anything stand in my way, my eyes are on the prize and gonna stay that way!”

3. Stronger Than You (Steven Universe)

Steven Universe is a cartoon I’ll keep in mind to show my children if I don’t like what’s on TV when I have them. This is a powerful song from that show, and a great bop in its own right. But it’s even better for putting the scene it’s from in my head – no spoilers, but it involves a great character kicking a bigoted villain’s butt. “I am made o-o-o-o-of lo-o-o-o-ove, and it’s stronger than you!”

4. Level Up (Vienna Teng)

I stumbled across this song on Tumblr one day and have loved it ever since. I’ve imagined up so many music videos for TV shows I like to this song; it just applies to so many contexts! “If you are afraid, come out. If you are awake, come out. Come out and level up!”

5. To Life (Fiddler on the Roof)

And now we begin the Broadway portion of this list. Again, knowing me, you’d be surprised if they weren’t here! Fiddler on the Roof is a family favorite and this song is just so fun to sing along to. “To us and our good fortune! Be happy, be healthy, long life! And if our good fortune never comes, here’s to whatever comes! Drink – l’chaim! – to life!”

6. The Impossible Dream (Man of La Mancha)

If I were to ever get over my dislike of pain and desire for professionalism and get a tattoo, it would very likely be a quote from Man of La Mancha, and very likely a line from this song. The trickiest part would be choosing just a few words! “This is my quest, to follow that star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far…”

7. I Sing the Body Electric (Fame)

This song made me feel good even before my English geek brain realized it’s full of Walt Whitman references. “And in time, and in time, we will all be stars!”

8. Little Wild One (That Thing You Do)

My parents tell me that when I was a toddler and they played this song in the car, I would belt along to it. I definitely didn’t realize what it was about back then, but the memory brings me up anyway. I even had it as my alarm in the morning for a while, and I still like it! “Little wi-i-i-i-i-ld one!”

9. The Gorilla Song (Raffi)

Again, back to songs from my childhood! This one’s just plain cute and puts a smile on my face. “’Cause it don’t matter to me, whatever you happen to be… as long as you’re you, I will love ya!

10. We Go On (IllumiNations)

This song is the finale of the Epcot fireworks spectacular, IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth. The entire show gives me warm fuzzy feelings about the world and the future, and this song sums it up nicely. “We can see a new horizon built on all that we have done, and our dreams begin another thousand circles round the sun!”

11. Happy (Pharrell)

I really do think that no list of uplifting songs is complete without this one. It really speaks for itself. “Because I’m happy…”

12. The Middle (Jimmy Eat World)

Of all the songs on this list, this is the one I’m least likely to ever skip when it comes up on shuffle. It came into my life right when I really needed it, during a bad summer camp experience, and it’s still very special to me. “It just takes some time, little girl you’re in the middle of the ride, everything, everything will be just fine, everything, everything will be alright, alright!”