12 Scary Movies for People Who Don't Like Scary Movies

There's something for everyone in the world of horror.

444
Rooks Nest Entertainment

We're halfway through September and it's basically my favorite time of the year: Halloween. And Halloween means that scary movies are coming out in theaters and replaying on TV and are basically just everywhere. As a horror loving adrenaline junkie, I love it. I love scary movies. I watch as many as I can from all different sub-genres of horror; slashers, paranormal, exorcism, possession, torture-porn, psychological, you name it and I will probably love it. But not everyone shares that deep love of the unsettling and the macabre. It's weird and it's a shame, but some people just hate scary movies.

Well, I refuse to accept that. I believe that horror is one of the most diverse genres of film and there's something here for everyone. So, if you're one of those people who has always steered clear of scary movies for whatever reason, buckle up, because these 12 films might just change your mind:

If you hate jump scares, try watching...

The Witch (2016)

Despite its ominously spooky name, Robert Eggers' "The Witch" has very few scary moments or jump scares. Rather, the film works up a slow build of suspense and atmospheric uneasiness as it follows the tragic unraveling of a 17th-century family as they're plagued by a series of unfortunate events. A great watch for people who like to focus on plots and not be bothered by random scares.

The Shining (1991)

A classic in the horror genre, Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece, "The Shining" is one of the most terrifying films you'll ever see, and it does it with hardly any jump scares at all. The chilling environment of the Overlook Hotel and the slow deterioration of Jack Torrence's psyche creates one of the creepiest, most foreboding atmospheres of any scary movie ever, and it will leave you both horrified and impressed.

Funny Games (2007)

This remake of an Austrian classic is a horrifying, fourth-wall breaking thrill ride that puts the viewer in the hot seat as an accomplice to some really twisted games. While there's no jump scares or any scary moments per se, "Funny Games" is still plenty disturbing and messed up, and will most likely leave you thinking about your habits as a media consumer and how you might just be a psychopath as well.

If you hate serious horror and just want something fun and creepy, try watching...

Jeepers Creepers (2001)

Honestly, "Jeepers Creepers" is a ridiculous movie. There's no origin story for the Creeper, nor is there really a plot beyond "The Creeper wants to make everyone into mummy cocoons". There's also a hysterically creepy little jingle that plays whenever the Creeper is creeping around, and it's incredibly campy. But "Jeepers Creepers" is a lot of fun, and while there are parts that are gory and scary, it's a good watch for someone who wants something equal parts creepy and silly.

Gremlins (1984)

A Christmas classic. "Gremlins" starts off as a family-friendly feel-good story and ends as a twisted pile of what the hell just happened. A wild story about a kid who breaks the rules in regards to his exotic pet and ends up destroying half his town with the little hell-furbys he creates by accident. Darkly humorous but still a little bit scary, "Gremlins" is what I would call a family-friendly horror movie.

Tremors (1990)

"Tremors" is way more comedy than it is horror, but is still suspenseful none-the-less. The plot revolves around a giant, man-eating worm monster that is terrorizing an isolated desert town. The citizens, who are all above and beyond the quirkiest people ever, have to work together to drive the monster out. If that sounds like a weird plot, it is, and it's a lot of fun.

If you hate horror films that follow a stereotypical set of "rules," try watching...

The Cabin in the Woods (2012)

Ah, yes, "The Cabin in the Woods;" Drew Goddard's secret dark comedy/parody disguised as a horror film. Now, while this film does include a good amount of gore and jump scares, it's all done as a good-natured satire of the classic horror formula. Basically, "The Cabin in the Woods" is way funnier and smarter than it is genuinely scary.

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

One of Edgar Wright's finest films, "Shaun of the Dead" is a dark parody of the typical zombie apocalypse film. While mostly everything in the film is done for laughs, there is a lot of gore and thrills sprinkled throughout, not to mention just a little bit of heart at the end. This is the movie for someone who is really over the whole "zombie" genre, but still really loves zombies.

Scream (1996)

The classic horror parody. Back during the tail-end of the teen slasher phenomenon, "Scream" had the idea to make both an excellent slasher and an even better comedy all in one. This is the film people often reference when talking about the "rules" of horror, so if you're looking for a film that acknowledges and then breaks those rules, this is it.

If you hate gore, try watching...

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

In a time before every other scary movie was a shaky found footage film, "The Blair Witch Project" was a one of its kind. While not nearly as creepy now as it was when people genuinely believed it was real, "The Blair Witch Project" is still a strikingly good horror movie. The filmmakers chose to imply and not show the horror, building suspense throughout, and then ended it on one of the creepiest cliffhangers of all time.

The Babadook (2014)

While Jennifer Kent's sleeper hit "The Babadook" lacked the Hollywood-level gore and effects that modern horror audiences have become accustomed to, it didn't affect the film's raw, powerful terror. The film follows a mother and her young son as they deal with their psychological issues which eventually begin to manifest itself as a horrible entity called The Babadook. Cutting edge and horrifying with very little blood and guts, "The Babadook" is a must see.

Psycho (1960)

Alfred Hitchcock's classic horror film, "Psycho" is one of the greatest examples of a scary movie that doesn't fall back on gore or disturbing images to support it. "Psycho" is all about suspense and doing the unexpected. While the exposition may be slow by modern standards, the climax of the film is still to this day one of the best examples of scary story-telling to ever exist in cinema.