12 Reasons To Watch Mad Men

12 Reasons To Watch Mad Men

The 1960s missed me by thaaaat much.

220
Mad Men Logo

This is one of the best period pieces ever made. The writing is done so well that it submerges you into the 1960s. You can watch as things slowly go from perfect and pristine to dark and crazy. Each person in this show has a rich backstory and it always keeps you hooked and wanting more.

The show mainly focuses on Donald Draper, an ad man on Madison Avenue in NYC. He's the creative director at Sterling-Cooper, one of the most prominent ad companies of their time. Don Draper is suave, sophisticated, and quick-witted. Most of the time, you believe the persona, that is until you find out that everything you thought you knew, turns out to be a lie.

1. The Dialogue

There are moments when I've watched this show and been completely dumbfounded at its wisdom. Most of the lines are said by Don Draper. His words can change a person's mind almost immediately. This show is mainly dialogue and has long, dramatic scenes that remain with you well after the episode is over.

2. The Acting

Like I said earlier, each person has a backstory, and every single actor sells their part so effortlessly that it leaves you in awe. Jon Hamm's performance as Don Draper is some of the best acting I've ever seen on a TV show. He WAS the character in the first episode and he WAS the character in the last episode. His acting isn't the only thing that justifies how amazing this show is. Elizabeth Moss (Handmaid's Tale) began her dramatic career during this show. She blossomed and so did her character. Christina Hendricks (Good Girls) was another actress that blew her performance out of the water.

3. The Character Progression

As I said earlier, Elizabeth Moss's character progression is quite impressive. "Peggy" starts out as a simple, shy secretary with very little experience in an office setting. From the moment she is first introduced, one can see she's a wallflower. Her character progresses from a young girl to a woman in charge. Her character progression is an amazing example of the strength and efforts the writers put into every single person on this show.

4. The Sex Appeal

Each character on this show has a sexual appeal and hunger that is unmatched. I've never seen adults so attractive, sensual, and elegant. The men are always pining after the women, but the women are smart. They know just how much to show to keep the men at bay, but also wanting more. Don Draper is seen as a hunk and Joan (seen above) is a total and complete bombshell.

5. The Mystery

Within the writing, there's always a slight ambiguity in the past of each character. It helps put everything into perspective for the person they've become. Don Draper's past is the most mysterious and dark. It takes a little while until all is revealed about the real life of Donald Draper. You'll have to watch to see who he really is.

6. The Historical Accuracy

The reason this is the best period piece is because of its historical accuracy. With almost an homage to the 1960s, it completely immerses you in this time period. The drinking, the smoking, the marriages, the careers. Every single piece of history that is shown on this show is unparalleled to anything I've ever seen.

7. The Music

I know this looks a little cheesy, but people really danced to music like this. At the end of every show, there's a song that plays to tie the entire episode you just watched with a big bow. It puts more into perspective as you're left with a somber or upbeat song that gives you the impression that things don't quite end there. Plus, there's a happy or sad dance every so often that can make you want to get up and dance along.

8. The Costume Design

As you've probably noticed in the previous entries, each person is decked out in the dated clothing from the 1960s. The men are always donned in the smartest attire, while the women are impeccably dressed in dresses and gowns that best enhance their bodies. The costumes are beautiful and extraordinarily well-done that you'll be jealous we don't still dress like this!

9. The Women

The women!! There are some women in this show that are stuck believing their lives depend on men. And the rest don't let themselves be pushed around by the chauvinistic men of that time. These women empower you and make you realize that you're strong, intelligent, and beautiful, no matter what.

10. The Humor

This isn't exactly a comedy, but there are moments that call for a little comic relief. The timeline for this show is quite dramatic, but there are definitely plenty of things that can make you laugh. Donald Draper isn't exactly the smiling type, but Roger Sterling (seen above) is.

11. The Story

I can't emphasize this enough. The writing is completely incredible. Every detail, every word, every character has such depth and intensity that it's more than just watching a show. Sometimes it feels like you're in it. Like you can see yourself in their shoes. The dialogue is a huge part of this show, but there's a lot just hidden in the silent moments.

12. The Finale

Don't worry, there are no spoilers! I've been played by finales before, but Mad Men's finale is structured and gives you exactly what you want to see for each character. It feels like it all came together. The characters have all come into their own, Don Draper is seen in a new way that helps you believe that everything happened for a reason.

I really enjoyed this show and have watched it multiple times. Every time I've seen it, I get chills, I cry, I laugh, I wonder. It's the kind of show that helps you put your life into perspective. You see how some people used to live, how important lives are and how crazy life can really become. I highly recommend you watch this show. You won't regret staying up until 3 a.m. just to finish the season you're on.