12 Netflix Documentaries To Watch Now

12 Netflix Documentaries To Watch Now

Documentary and Chill, anyone?

184
12 Netflix Documentaries To Watch Now

While most people would admit to using Netflix for the purposes of chilling and binge-watching entire seasons of shows, these same people are dubious to a hidden treasure buried deep within the depths of Netflix: documentaries. While this may make many people think of the boring VHS videos they had to watch in class when there was a substitute, with Netflix documentaries this is not the case. Netflix offers a wide variety of documentaries that could interest anyone. From current events to history lessons to problems in society, there is a documentary for everyone. Here are a few documentaries for anyone who would like to ease into the wonderful documentary culture of Netflix.

"Making a Murderer"

This is probably the most popular documentary currently on Netflix. Just about everyone from your next door neighbor to the biggest names in Hollywood have watched this compelling documentary series about a man who was was wrongly convicted of murder, released from prison, and then convicted of murder again. The seven episode long documentary takes the viewer through both trials in extensive detail and leaves them wondering if he was framed or if he actually committed the murder.

"Blackfish"

It does not take a skilled detective to recognize that SeaWorld is highly problematic. This documentary begins with the tale of Tilikum, a performing killer whale who killed one of his trainers in 2010. "Blackfish" exposes exactly how SeaWorld provides cruel treatment to animals for the selfish reason of maintaining a multi-billion dollar industry.

"Prohibition"

This three episode long documentary gives the full history the Temperance and Prohibition movements in an interesting and informational way. This is a great documentary for those history buffs who enjoy a little irony when making plans for the weekend.

"Food, Inc."

This popular documentary is known to make people go vegetarian because of the disgusting and immoral techniques and strategies the food industry uses to stay successful. "Food, Inc." sheds some light on America's corrupt food industry and the way meat and food are processed and made. This documentary will evoke the inner vegan-vegetarian-all-natural-organic-eating person in anyone.

"Twinsters"

In this heart-warming documentary, two identical twins who were separated at birth and raised in different countries find each other on the Internet. The documentary follows them as they learn more about their different lives and same culture.

"Little White Lie"

This documentary is about a young women finding out that she is actually half black, despite being raised by two white Jewish parents. "Little White Lies" follows her journey of self-discovery and culture. This is perfect for anyone who identifies with multiple cultures or disagrees with society's stereotypes on how certain races and ethnicities should behave.

"Cancer: The Emperor of all Maladies"

This PBS documentary takes the viewer into the hidden parts of the disease and the people who live with it. This is a three-part documentary that reveals the biological, social, and personal struggles with cancer.

"The Culture High"

At a time where legalization marijuana is a very probable event, "The Culture High" goes into the history of marijuana and the social stigma around it. Celebrities rally for the marijuana campaign as the pros and cons of the drug are weighed.

"Room 237"

This is a haunting documentary about a conspiracy theory about Stanley Kubrick's film "The Shining" (based on Stephen King's book). The documentary goes deep into the various aspects of the film to expose hidden messages and meanings.

"The Hunting Ground"

This chilling expose reveals the epidemic of sexual assaults on college campuses. Learn about the lengths universities will go to in order to cover up incidents for the sake of money and reputations. Watch as students take a stand against this and the powerful movements they create to try to end rape culture.

"The Roosevelts: An Intimate History"

This is a great documentary for anyone interested in US History and presidents. This documentary goes extensively into the lives of Theodore, Eleanor, and Franklin Roosevelt during a very critical and vital part of American history. Learn about their best kept secrets and what really went on for that family both in the White House and out.

"Girl Rising"

This eye-opening documentary exposes the viewer to the developing world and the extraordinary girls who live in it. Nine girls around the world overcome challenges and hardships as they try to grow and become independent in cultures that deny women. This is a very inspiring and hopeful documentary for women and girls everywhere.