"Harry Potter" was a worldwide phenomenon that continues to be enjoyed by millions all over the world today. Part of what makes it so great is its balanced mix of real-world issues and fantasy fiction. Here are some quotes from the series to inspire you to be the best version of yourself, as well as to make the world a better place.
1. "Fear of the name increases fear of the thing itself." —Hermione Granger
While Hermione is referring to Voldemort, her words apply to more than just a noseless villain. Our fears, our insecurities, and our shortcomings need to be talked out about. Avoiding them doesn’t make them go away, but rather, leaves you to deal with them alone. When confronted with a fear you don’t want to face, the best option is talk about it, and stand up to it.
2. "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." —Albus Dumbledore
Real life is hard. Dumbledore is quite aware of this when he is addressing Harry, who is lost in the Mirror of Erised. He also knows that dreams are so easy. You can make anything happen so long as you can imagine it. Everything goes your way and the world is yours to rule.
The thing is, dreams are only good in moderation. Getting stuck in them is dangerous because life will continue to pass you by, ready or not. So, like Harry, get up, dust yourself off, and look life straight in the face.
3. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends." —Albus Dumbledore
Neville Longbottom had almost no chance against the Boy Who Lived, the Brightest Witch of Her Age, and the King. But, he stood up to them anyway. While it may not have gone his way at first, he was surely rewarded for it at the end.
Recognize when you need to stand up to yourself, because your friends, while they love you, may not realize that what they’re doing is wrong. Chances are, they’ll thank you for saying something. If they don’t, are they truly your friend anyway?
4. "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." —Albus Dumbledore
Harry Potter had the same abilities as Tom Riddle. Their childhoods certainly matched, for neither were rosy. Yet, one became the best version of himself that he possibly could, and the other lost everything. It all comes down to the choices you make.
5. "If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." —Sirius Black
A man will always treat his equals as he wants to be treated. It is house elves, or his inferiors, that determine his true character. Any man can kiss up to Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates, but will that same man screech at a waiter for accidentally spilling a drink on his shoes?
6. "Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect." —Luna Lovegood
Hope is important. Luna knew this when her personal belongings go stolen, and she got them back in the end, didn’t she? A loss is never truly final. You may lose your hair tie and find one under your bed that you lost three months ago. You may lose your homework but doing it again helped you get better grades on your test. You may lose a loved one but they’ll always be with you in your heart.
7. "We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." —Sirius Black
Every superhero had the chance to be the villain. Every bully, like James Potter, had the chance to remain cruel and mean. It was their choices, big or small, that led them to their happiness.
8. "But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." —Albus Dumbledore
Dementors are only as strong as you let them be. The sadness can’t get to you if you combat it with all the happiness you can muster up. It’s not easy, and it can be taxing. But, as Dumbledore reminds us, there’s always light at the end of the tunnel.
9. "Books! And cleverness! There are more important things – friendship and bravery." —Hermione Granger
Hermione knew that when it came down to it, books and a degree could only get her so far in life. An education is important, yes. But, it's not everything.
10. "We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." —Albus Dumbledore
In a world where Cedric Diggory is dead and everything is in chaos, turn to your friends, your family, and your loved ones. Don’t let petty issues get in the way of your love, but rather, use it to your advantage. Don’t let the muggles get you down.
11. "Every human life is worth the same and worth saving." —Kingsley Shacklebot
No life is more valuable than yours. And no life is less.
12. "Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it." —Albus Dumbledore
Words are a tool, not a weapon. Mold them into something you can use to better yourself and the world, but never to inflict any pain. After all, if words brought us the magic of Harry Potter, you can certainly create more magic with yours.