12 Facts You Didn't Know About Coffee

12 Facts You Didn't Know About Coffee

The world's favorite drink might surprise you.

145
12 Facts You Didn't Know About Coffee

Coffee. Many of us need it to get going in the morning. Some of us need another to get through the day. And, let's face it: some of us need it like an IV all day long.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F05%2F13%2F6359876811491197331178838727_coffee.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=734&h=9baf5fbd7b7e6376705e332e8508cc3ab5fbe9d592421e9e21b14d95d7e21a08&size=980x&c=1333048471 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F05%252F13%252F6359876811491197331178838727_coffee.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D734%26h%3D9baf5fbd7b7e6376705e332e8508cc3ab5fbe9d592421e9e21b14d95d7e21a08%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1333048471%22%7D" expand=1]

But no matter if you're an addict or not, this drink and the beans it's made from are highly respected and loved. Coffee is the only thing that gets us through finals week or meetings at work. It's the true love of our lives, and a valued commodity. However, while you might know the difference between a latte and a cappuccino, here's 12 things you probably didn't know:

1. Coffee beans aren't actually beans, they're seeds.

Coffee beans are the pit inside the coffee fruit, making them seeds, not beans.

2. Coffee is the world's second largest commodity after oil.

That's a lot of java.

3. A "cup of Joe" actually refers to G.I. Joes

The term “cup of Joe” stems from American soldiers in World War II, “G.I. Joes” who were known to consume a large amount of coffee, as Maxwell Instant Coffee was included in their rations.

4. It is possible to overdose on coffee.

However, you'd need to drink over 140 cups in one day.

5. It can prevent Alzheimer's disease and some cancers.

So drink to your health!

6. Coffee actually has more caffeine than most energy drinks.

And less chemicals.

7. You should drink coffee before working out!

It can give you a boost of energy and make exercising more enjoyable and beneficial.

8. It makes a great exfoliating facial scrub.

It can stimulate your face just like your brain! Using it a couple times a week can brighten and exfoliate your skin!

9. The popular drink "Americano" was invented by WWII soldiers.

During the war, American soldiers added water to espresso to dilute it and give it the flavor they were used to.

10. It can be a natural laxative.

Studies have found that coffee can promote the release of hormones that are produced in the stomach and that stimulates movement in the bowels. So if you've gotta go, have a cup of Joe!

11. Speaking of poop, Black Ivory, the most expensive coffee in the world, comes from elephant dung.

Yeah, for some unholy reason, people are paying $50-$70 a serving for coffee that has been fed to elephants, essentially slow roasted in their digestive systems, and then picked from their dung piles. Just...why?

12. Coffee's energizing power was supposedly discovered by goats...

According to legend, an Ethiopian goat herder discovered the invigorating effects of coffee after his goats ate some coffee berries and stayed up all night going nuts. Leave it to goats to discover the most magical substance on earth.