12 Ethical Clothing Brands That Give Back

Toolkit for Becoming a Conscious Consumer: Part 2

6963
findingjustice.org

N.B. – Check out the first part of this series here.

Fast fashion is the second dirtiest industry in the world, following right behind big oil industry.

Most of fashion today is widespread fast fashion – meaning that those who actively participate in the creation of it are often mistreated, underpaid, and subjected to unsafe work environments (leading to fair trade markets). In addition to this, fast fashion takes a huge toll on the environment – just one pair of jeans takes 7,000 liters of water to produce, and one t-shirt takes 2,700. That’s the equivalent of what one person drinks in 900 days, not to mention the chemicals used, carbon emissions, water pollutants, land usage, and every other aspect of its production (thus leading to companies with sustainable production).

This is where philanthropic brands are working on changing. Fashion is in the unique position to utilize its widespread presence to have a positive impact on those its serves and evoke change. Many brands are working on taking this problem and actively working on change, whether this means better production processes or giving back to the communities they represent. The following is a collection of 12 such brands working on bettering their communities.

1. FEED

Research has shown that with school meals, attendance doubles and performance improves greatly. FEED was founded in 2007 with the idea of creating products that would allow consumers to engage in the fight against hunger. Each product purchased from FEED provides meals to children in the countries they were produced in (Colombia, Guatemala, Haiti, India, Kenya, and Peru) and is stamped with the number of meals it provides.

Products: Bags, Backpacks, Accessories, Tees

PriceRange: $-$$$$$ (depending on how many meals the item purchases)

FairTrade: Yes

Sustainably Produced: Yes

Find them @feedprojects on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.

2. Sevenly

“People matter.”

Sevenly was founded on the very simple idea that people matter. They donate $7 or 7% of every purchase to any given cause that they are participating in. They have collections based in the following categories: autism, cancer, environment, veterans and military, global causes, social justice, and education and arts. They participate in monthly, weekly, and daily campaigns to fund world causes and are recognized as one of the leading social good companies worldwide.

Products: Tees, Tanks, Give Bags, Cause Boxes

Price Range: $-$$, and each product tells which cause you are donating to by purchasing.

Fair Trade: Yes

Sustainably Produced: Yes

Find them @sevenly.org on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.

3. TenTree

“Ten trees forward.”

TenTree is a brand that aims to inspire a new group of consumers to take on the issues in environmentalism and create a positive impact on our collective future. TenTree partners with several not-for-profits across the globe to plant ten trees for every item purchased. These organizations allow TenTree to be present in areas that most need planting to make sure that they have a targeted and lasting impact. This community presence allows them to create jobs for locals in planting trees, guarding of reforestation sites, and the continuation of their environmental impact.

At the time this article was written, they have planted 9,280,040 trees.

Products: Hoodies, Long and Short Sleeve Tees, Tanks, Pants, Hats, Bags

PriceRange: $$-$$$

Fair Trade: Yes

Sustainably Produced: Yes

Find them @tentree on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube.

4. Ivory Ella

“Every adventure has a purpose and every adventure should have an elephant.”

Ivory Ella’s mission is to save the elephants and to bring together all types of people to do so, using patterns and prints to represent the beauty of every culture in the world. They donate 10% of all profits to Save the Elephants and other charitable organizations. They want to inspire people to live life like an elephant: empathy, creativity, strength, and loyalty.

Products: Tees, Tanks, Accessories, Jewelry, Water Bottles

Price Range: $-$$

Fair Trade: Yes

Sustainably Produced: Yes

Find them @ivoryella on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr.

5. The Elephant Pants

In the past 35 years, elephants around the world have faced a population decline of 50%. Every 15 minutes, an elephant is lost to poaching, which could lead to a world without elephants by the year 2025. The Elephant Pants is looking to change that. They sponsor the African Wildlife Foundation and donate a portion of every sale to prevent elephant poaching and protect rangers.

Products: Tops, Bottoms, Kimonos, Dresses, Accessories, Bags, Backpacks, Tapestries

Price Range: $-$$

Fair Trade: (Working on their certification)

Sustainably Produced: Yes

Find them @theelephantpants on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.

6. Twice As Warm

Twice As Warm’s mission is to spread warmth and winter clothing to people in need in communities around the world. They go beyond just the “wear one, give one” model and partner with shelters and organizations to donate warm winter clothing to people in need for every item purchased.

Products: Gloves, Hats, Scarves

Price Range: $-$$

Fair Trade: Yes

Sustainably Produced: Yes

Find them @twiceaswarm on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.

7. Makai Clothing Company

“Together we can save the turtles!”

Thousands of sea turtles hatch every year on the southeast US coast and begin to make their journey to the ocean, but only about 1,000 survive. Makai Clothing Co’s goal is to help protect turtles from natural and human-caused threats. They donate 10% of all profits to www.seeturtles.org.

Products: Accessories, Tanks, Shirts, Outerwear

Price Range: $-$$

Fair Trade: Yes

Sustainably Produced: Yes

Find them @makaiclothingco on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

8. Beza Threads

It is estimated that there are over 70,000 slaves in Ethiopia; girls are often sold for just $1. Beza Threads brings freedom and redemption to those who are or have been enslaved in Ethiopia. They provide job training and rehabilitation to their workers to give them a new chance at life and a sustainable future. They put former slaves' artisan work on the market to help support former slaves, the organizations that work to protect them, and to help eradicate slavery in the future.

Products: Scarves

Price Range: $-$$ (100% of funds go to supporting these organizations)

Fair Trade: Yes

Sustainably Produced: Yes

Find them @bezathreads on Facebook and Instagram.

9. Serengetee

Serengetee started with two students on a study abroad trip collecting fabrics from around the world to support local communities and create change around the world. They became the first brand centered around fabric and started sewing pocket tees and shipping from their own dorm room. They purchase fabric from over 25 countries, supporting artisans, their families, and local traditions. In addition to this, they give back 10% of their profits to grassroots causes.

Products: Pocket Tees, Hats, Bags, Accessories, Room Accessories

PriceRange: $-$$

Fair Trade: Yes

Sustainably Produced: Yes

Find them @serengetee on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.

10. Susta Life

Susta Life was created with the mission to provide quality clothing while at the same time preserving and protecting the wildlife in our world. Each month, they choose a new animal to make products for, and 10% of all funds is donated to the World Wildlife Fund.

Products: Long and Short Sleeve Tees, Accessories, iPhone cases

Price Range: $

Fair Trade: Not Certified, created in USA

Sustainably Produced: Not Certified

Find them @SustaLife on Twitter and @Susta_Life on Instagram.

11. ASOS Africa

ASOS Africa collaborates with a different designer every season to create clothing which gives back to the Kenyan community it derives from. They use local craftsmanship and fair trade principles to make sure that the community they create with is being well-served and appreciated.

Products: Women’s Clothing

Price Range: $-$$

Fair Trade: Yes

Sustainably Produced: Yes

Find them @asos.us on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

12. Warby Parker

“We believe that everyone has the right to see.”

Warby Parker was created as an alternative to the glasses industry, with the goal of being a socially conscious business. They create affordable frames and engage with their customers directly. The best part? For every pair purchased, one pair is given to someone in need.

Products: Eyeglasses, Sunglasses

Price Range: $$$

Fair Trade: Yes

Sustainably Produced: Yes

Find them @warbyparker on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr.