12 Days Of Christmas Giving

12 Days Of Christmas Giving

"No one has ever become poor by giving." -Anne Frank

13
12 Days Of Christmas Giving
Hunterpaige McDaniel

The holiday season is full of all kinds of excitement-- especially in the days leading up to Christmas. Days and nights are filled with decorating the tree, fancy light displays, parades, get-togethers, yummy food, and of course.. presents. We tend to get caught up in the festivities of the season rather than remembering the true reason to celebrate. With twelve days left until Christmas, I decided to create a list of twelve ways to give instead of receiving. After all, we are celebrating the birth of the Greatest Gift this world as ever known.

1. Volunteer

There are always opportunities to volunteer. The Salvation Army is always looking for "bell ringers" to tend to a red kettle. Food pantries cook holiday meals for those in need.

2. Remember those who serve

Law enforcement, firefighters, and mailmen tend to be overlooked. Take the time to bake cookies for your local police department or fire station. Leave a treat in the mailbox for your mailman or around a doorknob for a deliveryman. These people, and many more, serve our communities everyday-- especially during the holidays. Postal services work extra hours, sometimes in horrible weather conditions, in order to ensure holiday deliveries are on time (you know, for all of us who choose to get our shopping done online). Law enforcement officers take extra precautions as crime rates tend to increase.

3. Give a meal

Food is something many of us take for granted. As we get caught up in all of our wants, we forget that there are people who struggle to have their basic needs fulfilled. Many do not know where their next meal will come from or if they will have somewhere save to sleep at night. Buy a few extra grocery items for someone, give canned goods to a local food pantry, or buy a stranger on the street a meal.

4. Invite & include

The holidays are supposed to be filled with love and joy. However, the holidays actually tend to be some of the most depressing times for people. Many people have lost loved ones or are not surrounded by family. Many people spend the holidays as well as Christmas alone. Take the time to invite and include others. Invite someone to a night out for an ugly Christmas sweater party. Take notice to those who plan to spend the holidays alone and include a coworker, friend, or even stranger to your family Christmas meal.

5. Visit

Many people feel forgotten-- especially during the holidays. Take time to visit those family members who you do not see enough. One of my biggest regrets is not visiting my Ma Ma (great-great-grandma) as much as I should have in the last few years of her life. I wish so badly that I could pay her just one more holiday visit. Visit those who may not have anyone else: a neighbor, nursing home residents, etc. The gift of time is such a precious thing.

6. Lend to the needy and unfortunate

So many are in need around us. Although it is not a necessity for gifts to be opened on Christmas morning, it is still fun. The harsh reality, however, is that not everyone receives. Every family does not have the means to buy presents. We may not be able to ensure that every child gets a present on Christmas but we can choose to help at least one. Ask around to find a family who could use a little extra assistance, choose a name from an "Angel Tree", or pack a box for Operation Christmas Child.

7. "the best gifts come from the heart"

Sometimes it is hard enough to provide for our own families-- much less give gifts to another family. However, a gift does not have to cost a fortune. You could make something with things found around your house, rake leaves for a neighbor, or babysit for free while a couple has a night out. Giving does not have to cost.

8. Lend a helping hand

Choose to give a hand to someone else: help some with their groceries, put a buggy up for someone else, or clean off a table at a restaurant.

9. Be Sly

The most exciting gifts are often given in secrecy. Give to others for the sake of giving instead of receiving recognition.

10. Pay it forward

If you find yourself with a little extra cash, pay it forward to someone else. Pay for someone's meal at a restaurant or the order of the person behind you in a drive-thru line. Leave a gift card in a buggy for the next user or leave a little extra tip for a waitress.

11. Be Kind

Write a nice note for a family member or neighbor. Send an encouraging message to a friend. Leave kind words behind for a stranger.

12. Remember the Brave

There are so many men and women who have bravely chosen to fight for our country. Many military members have to spend Christmas away from their families at least once, if not multiple times. Send a card to those who are stationed away from their homes as well as veterans who once were. They spend their time fighting to defend our freedom, the least we could do is spread a little love their way.

Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the Lord your God that he has given you.

Deuteronomy 16:17 esv