11 Ways To Travel On A Budget

11 Ways To Travel On A Budget

A college students guide to traveling...

140
11 Ways To Travel On A Budget
Emily Kaye

As a college student abroad in Europe, I have love-hate relationship with traveling. I love the freedom I have and the ability to explore so many cool places and cultures. I hate the accumulation of expenses after each weekend trip, especially extra costs that could have been avoided with more research and planning. After much trial and error, I have found a few tips that have helped me plan smoother, more cost-effective trips that will not break the bank. All thought a little more extra time spent planning is required, I promise it is well worth your time!

1. Book Early

Trust me, I have learned the hard way on this one. Booking flights last minute is not only stressful, but the prices are exponentially higher. If you book early the experience is much more painless, stress free, and doesn't break the bank as much.

2. Timing is everything

Some parts of the year or even certain weekends can be cheaper depending on where you are going, so it makes sense to research flight times and play around with the travel days. Usually weekends will be more expensive than days of the week. I have also found that booking flights on a Monday or Tuesday have proven to be the cheapest. Use websites such as Student Universe or Skyscanner for especially good deals as well.

3. Free activities and attractions

Many cities have free parks, beaches, and museums that you can visit especially as a student. All it takes is a quick internet search to see all of the free and low cost sites available to see.

4. Airbnb

Airbnb is a game changer when it comes to traveling. Why wouldn't you want to get a whole apartment to yourself that is cheaper than a hotel room or hostel? There are also so many cool apartments and private rooms to choose from with stunning locations and views.

5. Do your research

This is huge because it is super easy to get nickled and dimed when it comes to low cost airlines. Make sure you read the fine print for your airline, transportation, and accommodations. As a college student, I know this can seem unnecessary, but I recently had to pay extra for an overweight bag which was not ideal.

6. Travel with more people

The more the merrier! More people means splitting the costs more ways. This applies to transportation such as taxis and ubers as well as living accomodations. Also, it is much more enjoyable exploring new places with friends by your side.

7. Look into transportation ahead of time

Depending on where you go, you may need to rent a car, figure out public transportation, or use uber/taxis. Spend time researching what the best option is efficiency and price wise in your destination.

8. Use connections

If you have friends or family where you are traveling definitely reach out and see if you can stay with them or if they have suggestions on cheap accommodations, transportation options, or activities.

9. Travel light (if you can)

Airlines have requirements when it comes to number of bags and the size of the bags. In order to make sure you are not charged extra for your bags, make sure you are packing efficiently. Some tips I have found helpful are to pack neutral colors and pieces that are easy to layer. As a terrible packer myself, I understand this can be extremely difficult, but you will not need that extra pair of shoes or jacket for a short trip.

10. Try to cook

Especially if you have an airbnb, cooking can be super easy on vacation. Groceries are cheaper and easy to find and looking up an easy recipe on pinterest can make you feel like a local!

11. Talk to locals

Locals truly know best. They may have suggestions on affordable gems off the beaten path that have specials for the locals or offer certain discounts for students, etc.