11 (Practical) Ways To Be More Spontaneous

Spoiler alert: It really IS possible.

23237
Spontaneity: a Pinterest-inspired concept that we all dream about being able to actively implement into our own lives, but are never able to achieve in reality.

When you hear the word spontaneous, what thoughts come to your mind? If you're anything like me, it may not seem possible to be spontaneous due to your many responsibilities and seemingly never available schedule. But despite common misperceptions, there is a real, practical way to make spontaneity a part of YOUR life today!

To be spontaneous and also be responsible in keeping up with your daily commitments isn't as difficult as you might think. Learning how to balance spontaneity and responsibility is SO important - being practically spontaneous will bring you refreshment and joy ever single day!

Here are 11 practical ways you can begin to implement spontaneity in your daily life:

1. Don't procrastinate when you have time to get things done.

This will allow you to say "yes!" without hesitation when something does pop up!!!

2. Learn to see opportunities.

Many of us will fail to be spontaneous simply because we fail to realize when we are given the chance. Have this little thought in the back of your mind as you go throughout each day and you'll be surprised what might happen!

3. Reduce time-wasters.

Get rid of activities that don't truly add value to your life and take away from the motivation to do something out of the ordinary. Sit down (with a pen and paper) and think about where you often spend too much of your time (scrolling through social media, binge watching Netflix, etc). Write out all of these things in a list.

Once you've recognized your time-wasters, think about how much time you should really be spending with them. This will give you back time that you didn't think you had while also opening up so many doors to new adventures.

YAY for adding more hours to your day!!!

4. You can still plan AND be spontaneous!!!

It really is possible. I absolute LOVE planning and still try my best to be spontaneous! Read on to #5 to see how...

5. Schedule spontaneity.

If you always jam pack your schedule with commitments, you'll never have time to do anything on the fly. So when you're learning what this will look like in your life, leave time open in your schedule to do something that will bring you unexpected joy. Scheduling time for spontaneity doesn't mean you have to schedule the activity...you're just leaving time open for it to happen!

6. Do what you want. Seriously!!!

Make time for what matters to YOU and brings refreshment and joy to the mundane.

This may not mean getting beaded dreads and rocking them in front of all of your friends, but try to shoot for something HALF as exciting and fun-filled! You'll be set.

7. Start small.

It doesn't have to be a huge road trip (although it TOTALLY can be). Just get out of your everyday schedule and I promise you won't regret it.

8. Get Off Your Phone!!!

I know I sorta kinda touched on this earlier, but it really deserves its own point (and I think Raven would agree with me on this one).

When you're immersed in the world that is your phone and social media, you not only waste time but also compare your ability to be spontaneous to everyone else's. You might be in a busier season of life that is allowing minimal flexibility and spontaneity while a friend is able to take trips to Colorado every other weekend. A last minute trip to go get ice cream is spontaneous too!!!

It's okay, friends!! Spontaneity will look different from everyone. Don't expect your life to be a certain way or you will ALWAYS be disappointed.

9. Talk to/smile at strangers.

Even though they may be a little bit weirded out at first, push past the awkwardness. It's worth it! You never know what may come of a conversation with a stranger.

Even if you don't stop and have a conversation, flash those pearly whites! Smiling is contagious and truly encouraging. And as funny as it may sound, you really might make someone's day.

10. Change your perspective.

Be practical about what spontaneity will look like in your life. Even though it may not seem as Pinterest-y as you'd like, that doesn't make it any less wonderful! Challenge how you view spontaneity so it can begin to become a practical and real aspect of your life, not just something you talk about.

11. Create a "do something" jar!

Ask your friends, family, and (of course) Google about ideas for spontaneous adventures and start to compile them into a (preferably Mason, how 'white girl' of me) jar. As you randomly think of fun getaways or little spontaneous ventures, jot them down and drop them in the jar.

Now you can randomly draw from the jar (or, even though it's less whimsical, draw until you find something you have the time/ability to do at that moment) and BAM you have an adventure picked out and ready to go! Now all you've got to do...is DO it!

I hope that this has jump-started and encouraged you in your journey to (practically) live more spontaneously each and every day!

Now, let's get practical: Which item on this list are you going to tackle THIS week?!