Things To Do On An Airplane

11 Ways To Stay Entertained On A Long Flight

4. Doodle on your napkin.

75

I just returned from a week-long vacation. Between getting there and coming back home, I spent about eight hours in the air. Long flights can be grueling, especially when you're stuck in your seat for most of the flight. But it doesn't have to be boring! Here are some great ways to keep yourself entertained on your flight.

1. Read a book or magazine.

Let's start with the obvious. You should never travel without some kind of reading material. Airplanes have reading lights for a reason.

2. Watch TV or movies.

Even if your flight doesn't have movie screens, many streaming apps have the option to download shows or movies so you can watch them on your phone.

3. Chat with your neighbor.

I know, I know. People hate small talk on airplanes. But, who knows? Maybe you'll sit next to someone friendly. If they're from the area you're traveling to, they might even recommend places to eat!

4. Doodle on your napkin.

Most airlines will give you a napkin with your complimentary beverage, so get creative! Or, if you're not as creative, start a game of tic-tac-toe with the person next to you!

5. Take pictures of your view.

I mean, how often do you get to see what it looks like 30,000 feet above the ground? Take advantage of this if you have a window seat.

6. Reflect on your travels.

If you're on your way home, take some time to reflect on your trip and write down your favorite memories. Trust me, your future self will be glad you did.

7. Check your email.

If your flight has WiFi, take some time to clear out your inbox. Nothing like starting your vacation with a clean slate!

8. Do a puzzle (or ten).

Whether it's a crossword, word search, or Sudoku, puzzles can keep you entertained and exercise your brain!

9. Stretch your legs.

If the captain does turn off that seat belt sign, take the opportunity to stretch your legs. A trip to the bathroom wouldn't hurt either.

10. Listen to music.

Airplanes can be noisy, so music can help drown out the roar of the engine. If you're lucky, it will also discourage a neighbor who's a little too friendly.

11. Take a nap.

A tried and true method for passing time on a long flight. Hopefully, you don't hit too much turbulence.