11 Things University Of Minnesota Students Do

As a student here at the U of M, here are some things I've noticed that other students do that are just, well, normal to me now.

1353
University of Minnesota

The University of Minnesota campus is pretty big, home to over 40,000 people. On the daily, there's a number of things that are said and done that really just don't take anyone by surprise anymore. The U of M is home to a variety of people full of their own spirits. As a student here at the U of M, here are some things I've noticed that other students do that are just, well, normal to me now.

1. Sleeping in Coffman

I was always one who thought falling asleep in public was a huge no and thought it was pretty weird. Not only that, but the idea also makes me super uncomfortable as I don't like the thought of other people strolling by as you sleep. Well, not here. I'm pretty sure there's not a day that goes by that someone isn't sleeping in the comfy Coffman chairs, but hey, that's just the way we roll around here.

2. Taking pictures with Goldy

I swear it's in the blood of every freshman to take the infamous "pic with Goldy." A U of M tradition, that's for sure.

3. Walking what seems like 100 miles a day

Unless it's a weekend or a day where we're just really not feeling the whole class thing, we're bound to walk at least 2-3 miles a day, if not more. The mileage is a given on this huge campus.

4. Going to PAWS

I literally haven't met a single person on campus who doesn't love this. If you're unaware, PAWS means "Pet Away Worry and Stress," and it doesn't get much better than that. I mean, why wouldn't you want to go pet the cutest pups to throw your stress away?!

5. Chilling on the grass in the mall

Okay but seriously, how do some of you people find this comfortable? Doing your homework outside even? On the ground? H.O.W.?

6. Biking around campus

You people and your bikes. There's not a day that goes by that someone isn't biking 30mph and almost hits a student. Only here, though.

7. Getting Starbucks

I swear, we literally live off of this. There hasn't been a time that I've ever gone to any of the Starbucks and they weren't insanely busy or even a time where I've walked outside and didn't see someone with a Starbucks drink in their hand.

8. Doing "The Gopher"

Ah, the Gopher. A gopher game and Welcome Week tradition. You all know it.

9. Making the "M"

It's not Welcome Week unless you're on the field of TCF squished together int the shape of an 'M' with 7,000 of your peers.

10. Drunkdonalds at 2am

Rain, wind, or snow--it doesn't matter. Literally, no natural occurrence will stop us as we've all been there.

11. Hating Wisconsin

If you don't hate Wisconsin, are you even a true Gopher? The Gopher vs. Badger games are always the best and they sure bring out the biggest rivalry there ever was.