11 Tips For Studying Abroad

11 Tips For Studying Abroad

How to make the best of your experience.

7
11 Tips For Studying Abroad
Google Images
“Studying abroad changed my life.”

As cliche as this sounds, it’s cliche for one reason only: It’s true. Whether the impact is big or small, living in another country is life-altering. Take hold of this experience, meet new people and adventure. But before making this commitment, here are 11 things to think about.

1. There is no hole in your wallet

It's the exchange rate!

The black hole draining your hard-earned cash, ceases to exist. There is no rip in your pocket and no one robbed your bank account. Be prepared to spend money, it comes with the territory.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of living. For those who have traveled to the United Kingdom, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

2. Will my liver survive?

Consider whether or not the cost of your liver’s destruction is in your budget. But regardless if you're a partier or not, take hold of opportunities early on to grab a drink with people. It’s a great way to connect with people.

3. Should I sport the money belt?

If you like digging your hand in your pants to fetch for cash.

There are people who will talk and distract you while their partner swipes your valuables or people who might try to snatch your bag off your shoulder, but you don’t need to hug your purse to your chest. Just be aware and watch your back.

4. How real is the abroad-bod?

Ask your scale when you get home.

Answer: It’s real. And that is OKAY! Is it worth it? Yes. Don’t be too hard on yourself; workout when there’s time and cut portion sizes. For most of us, the abroad-bod is inevitable - it's a way of life.

5. How do I “study” abroad?

Strategically.

It's important to keep up on readings and self-teach, because there is usually not much homework. Remember to manage your time well, but even the teachers know, a large part of the experience abroad won’t necessarily take place in the classroom.

6. It’s just me, myself and I.

What better way to grow as an individual than to get in touch with your inner-self? Some say you really get to know someone when you travel with them, so take yourself on a date, go explore and you never know, maybe taking a trip alone will be right up your alley.

7. So, I found BAE...

While it may seem cool to fall in love with a European hottie, think about how hard it will be to say goodbye. Take this time to focus on yourself and build lifelong friendships. If cupid happens to shoot an arrow at you along the way, so be it. You can deal with it when the time comes.

8. Homesickness vs. friendsickness

That gut feeling does not last. Remembering how lucky you are to be in this position can help evaporate negative emotions. As far as missing friends goes, remember how long it took you to build those relationships. It takes time to adjust to anything, so give it time. You might come to realize these new friends will make you feel at home.

9. Don’t let the terrorism scare you away

Terrorist attacks can happen anywhere, at anytime. Be sure to enroll in your embassy and pay attention to travel alerts. If you are worried to travel abroad because a terrorist attack “might” happen, don’t be. Fear is limiting, so take the necessary steps to ensure your safety and calm your parents down.

10. Being open-minded is attractive

People come from all walks of life. Chances are, you will learn something and start becoming more culturally aware. Trust me, you will have a lot more to bring to the table when you return home.

11. Be nice!

Everyone is in the same boat. You're all trying to make friends. So, even if you find someone COMPLETELY annoying, don't be mean and ruin their experience. No one should feel excluded or put down. Ever.