11 Things Stressed College Students Should Do To Cope

There are ways to battle the stress, and in the end, make yourself stronger for it.

61
Flickr

You're about to embark on one of the most remarkable journeys of your life. You'll make life-long friends, create memories and gain experiences that will jumpstart your career after graduation.

As exciting as this new adventure is, however, it won't take you long to realize just how stressful it can be. After the initial excitement wears off, the less shiny parts of college start to show themselves.

Not to worry, though!

1. Plan ahead.

Planning ahead saves lives. Trust me, laying out your schedule on a desk calendar or in a planner will make all the difference. I started out my college career with a hardy-used planner and a lot of stress, but now I find myself with a wall calendar, a desk calendar and a pocket calendar I carry everywhere.

This may seem extreme, but I don't miss any of my many deadlines. In fact, some of the best practical advice I ever received was to immediately transfer all deadlines/assignments from my syllabi to a planner.

Gone will be the days of wondering when that assignment is due or what chapters the exam is covering.

2. Don't procrastinate.

You'll hear this little gem many times; in fact, you probably already have, but this also saves lives. One moment, you think you have all the time in the world to get something done, but before you know it, the due date is knocking at your door.

You'll probably end up pulling quite a few all-nighters in order to get these assignments completed, or to study for that exam. Let me save you the stress and tears now: get it done early.

Caffeine can only get you so far!

3. Remember to sleep.

In college, we tend to brag about who is functioning on the least amount of sleep, but let me tell you now: it's not worth it. Lack of sleep will not only affect your grades, but also your health. Sleep makes you more alert and less stressed.

Freshman year can be a breath of freedom for many people, and that can lead to late nights socializing with newfound friends. As great as making new friends is, learning to balance school and a social life is crucial.

Think of it this way: In the working world, you probably won't be able to sleep as much as you can now, so it's good to take advantage of it now while you still can!

4. Pet animals on campus for therapy.

What's more therapeutic than petting an animal? For example, at Sam Houston State University, K.I.S.S (Kats in Support of Shelters) brings dogs from Rita B. Huff Animal Shelter to campus every week for students to love on while walking across campus.

These dogs are always happy to meet new people, and it's such a stress reliever for dog lovers (especially if you don't have one of your own). For even more of a stress relief boost, you can find and join a similar organization on or near your own campus to help find these pups a home!

5. Make time for friends.

It's way too easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of deadlines, work and class. Sometimes, it feels like you get up, eat, go to class, eat, study, and go back to bed.

This isn't a sustainable life!

Friends are so important in the balance of college. They're a shoulder to lean on, an ear to listen and someone to have fun with when life becomes overwhelming. No matter how busy you are, there's always time. In the end, life is about the people who walk beside us on this adventure, not the GPA on a piece of paper.

6. Make time for yourself.

Just as it's important to be with friends, it's just as important to make yourself a priority. You're here to set the foundation for your future, but sometimes you need to set aside the textbook and do something for yourself.

Maybe this means watching a new show or indulging in a hobby. You can even invest in a hammock, drag it to campus, and lay between the trees with a good book. What de-stresses you and boosts you with new energy is a good thing.

7. Create a playlist.

Music is one of the best forms of therapy. One of the best things I ever did was to set aside time to create playlists for different situations. My favorite playlist is my "relaxation" playlist.

It calms my nerves and even helps me sleep. When a stressful situation threatens to get the best of you, you can go to your music and happy place.

8. Take a walk.

Nothing calms the nerves and stress like a walk. Fresh air can clear your head and help you center yourself. Walking through the outdoors is a simple reminder that life is bigger than the classroom.

9. Find a hobby.

Everyone needs a hobby, even it's something as simple as collecting rocks. A hobby lets you focus on something you love. You get to choose how you spend your time. This is priceless; cherish it while you can.

10. Go to the gym.

Going to the gym can be a daunting idea, but before you laugh, hear me out. Exercising helps you sleep better, focus on school and improve grades, as well as help mental health.

It's hard work pushing your body beyond its limits, but it's not something you'll regret once you leave.

11. Watch a movie.

Whether you're hanging with friends or by yourself, watching a movie (or even your favorite show) can be the perfect escape from thinking about school. Watching the right movie can even inspire you to be the best you can be.