11 Tips for Making the Most Out of Theme Parks

Every Theme Park Visit Should Be the Best Visit!

235
Bob Linsdell

Whether it’s your first visit to any theme park in Florida or an annual passholder to multiple parks (like myself), you want to make the most out of your day. Granted, everyone has different goals in mind when entering a park. It may be to see all the animals at Busch Gardens, spend every second in Diagon Alley, revisit a spot associated with fond memories, ride the Jimmy Fallon ride at Universal Studios repeatedly, or you simply go to make your friends jealous via Snaps. Yes, you could do it for the kids… but I don’t have kids, so this is for the unburdened of us.

Regardless of why you’re going or what park, here are some vetted tips for making each visit the best experience every time.

Research News

Find out what’s open! Or, more importantly, what’s closed. It’s ridiculously easy to find information nowadays. Google where you’re going, join an FB theme park group, or look up a tween’s YouTube channel – you would not believe how many trips can be ruined due to the “Pardon our Pixie Dust” sign.

Plan

Today’s technology has made it easier than ever to be your own travel agent. Granted, travel agents are still helpful for those longer trips at new parks, but for the lot of us it’s down to playing on the theme park’s app during post-dinner TV time. They offer fast passes, discounts, reservations, lodging, and more that can make an ordinary trip extraordinary. Earlier planning can yield better results, but the night before is common for passholders as well.

Set a Budget

If you want to live your best life and blow money on a “treat yo’self” experience, be my guest! Setting a budget isn’t a tip for saving money – it’s a tip for making it a little more fun. As a long-time theme park frequenter, I’ve realized the experience can be as unforgettable on a budget as when expense isn’t spared. When visiting with friends, family, or a loved one, it can be fun to see how much fun you have on $30 a person. If you break the budget, then at least you tried anyway.

Relax, Be Flexible

This one is notoriously hard for the obsessive compulsive, the plan-sticklers, and the first-timers. Unfortunately, a plan rarely goes perfectly at theme parks due to weather, people, Saturn’s retrograde, etc. You may be hustling in SeaWorld to Penguin Encounter for a 1.5 hour wait because it’s the plan and miss a great dolphin show with prime seating. The point is: Fun is the goal, not adhering to a schedule.

Know Your Must-Dos

Knowing your must-dos at a theme park can really help everyone relax. If you NEED to do Space Mountain, then you can rearrange the schedule to make it happen. Must-Dos should be the sub-headers in your plan; capable of replacing lesser activities if need be.

Drink! But Don’t Overdo It

One of my favorite activities at a theme park. Whether around the World Showcase or a delicious brew at Hog’s Head, an adult beverage eases the tired feet and muffles the angsty crowds. This tip is simply about knowing your limit. Remember, unless you have a hotel you have to get home at some point. Not to mention, the last drink is followed by a sleepy come-down. Have fun, but be safe!

EAT! But Don’t Overdo It

What’s possibly worse than an early hangover in a crowded theme park? Being full of popcorn, turkey legs, and extremely sleepy. I’m no hippie, but healthy smaller foods are going to result in a longer, energetic day. Go for the corndogs, too. Just remember a banana or chicken sandwich are going to give you that second wind.

Enjoy the Atmosphere

While you’re sprinting around to get your money’s worth, don’t forget to stop and smell the seasonal horticulture. Almost every theme park goes through literal back-breaking effort to decorate and design every landscaping aspect. From buildings to trees, everything was picked with a purpose. Get lost in the atmosphere they designed. Breathe in the smells of Main Street, USA.

Play Games in Line

Lines can be day killers. Queuing can take longer than 2+ hours and some parks haven’t made the wait enjoyable. Concrete, that guy’s BO, and a screaming child will have anyone at their limits, so it’s critical you are mentally prepped for this time. Head’s Up, Words with Friends, and trivia apps are perfect for waiting in line. Other’s may even join in the fun!

Wear Matching Outfits

This may sound tacky, silly, childish, and embarrassing. It is. But, it’s also a great way to find a group, family members, or a s/o in a crowd. Matching outfits gives purpose to the outing, and it really does help when separated. Also, who doesn’t like being complimented by others who didn’t wear Thing 1 and Thing 2 shirts?

Romantic Tip: Find a Spot to Snog

Obviously not for family – unless the theme park is a fair in Alabama – but this tip if for the lovers. I’m a massive Harry Potter fan, and my fiancé and I make sure we sneak a quick snog session in somewhere in Harry Potter. Nothing egregious or public (it is a family friendly environment), but a little spot in the shade away from others to share a moment. It creates a memory and marks some real estate of your own to return to and make another memory.