11 Times You Still Need Cash In 2017

11 Times You Still Need Cash In 2017

Cash is King

495
11 Times You Still Need Cash In 2017

Let's face it: in the age of technology, we still rely on the good ol' fashioned things. Whether it's writing things by hand, using a desktop over a laptop (strange, I know, but true), or even having cash instead of a debit or credit card. Luckily, there are companies bringing new life to ol' fashioned notions, such as Western Union, whose mobile app makes it possible to transfer cash electronically all over the world. We live in an age where almost everything can be done digitally, yet millennials still rely on cash for many things.

1. Paying for rent.

If you're splitting an apartment or house with some friends (which happens a lot when you're in college), it's easier to pay for the rent with cash over card. Simply because having the rent in one person's hand when it's due is a lot more reassuring than "I'll send you the money." It's easier (and faster) to give someone cash then to make a bank transfer, which could take up to a week for some people. Cash can be in your hand right after you ask for it.

2. You're studying abroad.

Studying abroad means many things, including being away on your own. Being on your own also means you're more likely to lose track of your accounts, especially if you're on your own in a new place for the first time ever. Cash helps you keep track of how much you have and you can tell when you're getting low.

3. Music festivals.

If you're like me and love going to music festivals, you'll often find yourself in a cash-only festival with nothing but cards. However, that's easily fixed if you have a quick and easy way to send cash to yourself or someone who needs it.

4. You want to buy something.

By "something" I don't mean like a book – I mean you see something at a yard sale that could cost you some cash. Yes, I said yard sale because let's face if there's something millennials love, it's owning stuff that looks vintage and "hipster." Plus what better way to find cool furniture and decorations for your home than at a yard sale? Most yard sales don't accept cards because it's one person doing it to get rid of some junk they have and are looking to make a quick dollar.

5. You owe someone money.

I'm not talking a few bucks, either. I'm talking more like someone bailed you out of something big, and now you need to pay them back but need cash to do it.

6. It's date night.

Date nights often mean a nice dinner and a movie, which means a tip and popcorn and some drinks. Cash is the easiest way to go about date nights.

7. A night out with your friends.

Much like date night, a night out with friends means the dinner, dancing, and drinking...if you're anything like my friends.

8. Car payment.

A lot of millennials (especially those in school) rely on their parents to manage their car and its insurance when they're in school. Meaning the money for the car has to make it into the parent's hands somehow. Let's be honest, even after millennials are out of school, setting up payment plans and paying for important things like that is something that is still a foreign concept for many. So again, they rely on their parents to continue to do the hard work for them. Giving them cash just makes the whole process easier.

9. Getting your hair done.

If you get your hair done, and I mean done—cut, colored, and styled—cash is the way to go. It makes it easier on the hairdresser, and it makes it easier to tip. Plus, any girl can tell you a good cut, color, and style can cost a pretty penny.

10. Replacing an electronic device.

If you're like me and are super clumsy, you're bound to drop your phone at some point. This means you'll need a new phone screen. That means going to a place that can replace it, but for a price. Cash will easily pay for it, and the next time you look at your bank statement, you won't be reminded that you spent hundreds of dollars for a new device that you're likely to drop again in the near future.

11. You want to be interest-free.

No one likes owing more money than they used credit for. If you use cash, there's no need for interest and no need for more charges.

Now, what happens if you don't have cash on you when you need it? An easy way I've found to get and send cash is the Western Union mobile app – it offers a great way for millennials to get money from one person to another. Again, let's face it, cash isn't going anywhere. It's still necessary in this world, so you might as well be prepared to get it when you need it.