11 Thoughts While Running

11 Thoughts While Running

Do I love it or hate it? I'm confused.

1
11 Thoughts While Running
runnersworld.com

I have recently started to run again after years of avoiding it like the pelage. During the average run, I find my mind going through the many ever changing thoughts. So here’s to my growing love/hate relationship with running.

1. I have to do this.

This thought is the first thought that pops into my head when my alarm goes off in the morning. I tend to bribe myself with Starbucks or some other splurge just to get out of bed.

2. OK, there’s no going back.

When I drive up to my local YMCA, I know there is no going back. I already drive the ten minutes it takes to get here so now I’m commented to the run.

3. Let’s do this!

When standing behind the treadmill my adrenaline starts to pump. Thoughts of crushing my run race through my head as I hit the “quick start” button. The treadmill starts to go, and I’m off.

4.My legs hurt… should I stop?

A couple of minutes into the run my body starts to aches. Quitting crosses my mind with this new excuse to stop, but then a miracle happens and the soreness goes away as fast as it came.

5. Oh, look a mile!

Getting the first mile down is always a win for me. I feel amazing seeing the distance increase as I push forward trying to get to the next.

6. Oh my God! I’m dying!

The good feeling of getting to that first mile quickly leaves as I continue forward. I feel like I am going to die as I began to breath heavier. I began to focus on the time. I tell myself two more minutes before I will allow myself to walk.

7. Yay! I get to walk

I reach my goal, and I get to walk for a bit and get my water. I enjoy every step and try not to think about how in a short bit I will be running again.

8. Here we go again

As the treadmill begins to speed up a burst of energy comes over me and take off once again. I began to make mental goals of how far I will go again before my next break.

9. Dying again

Heavy breathing comes over as my body begins to tire. I try to push past it and focus on something else, but my mind keeps coming back to how my body feels.

10. I can do this!

The end is near, and I set my final mental goals. I turn up the speed for the final push and look forward to finishing strong.

11. I'm awesome!

During the cool down an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment washes over me. I accomplished something I had doubts about, and now I am done for the day. For some reason I began to plan my next run and began to look forward to it.

That’s the thing about running –– well working out in general –– it sucks when you are doing it, but the feeling after is like no other. Knowing you pushed yourself to reach a goal to better yourself is the best feeling ever.