11 Things I Have To Think About When I Want To Pursue A Friendship With A Man

Why does this have to be *so* difficult?

559

I know a lot of good men and I'd love to get to know them better. However, if we're going to be real friends (without any feelings involved) there are way too many things that need to be thought about before diving into a friendship.

1. Every hangout invite sounds like a date (it's not).

2. I have to be intentional with my words.

Again, I don't want a new guy friend to think I'm trying to make a move on him or anything. If I want to go on a date with a boy, I'll call it a date.

3. We can't truly connect on any emotional level because I will fall in love.

I find that it's much easier to connect with women because we have that natural vulnerability piece in our friendship. With men, I have to be careful not to share too much or let them share too much with me, because I will probably fall in love with them.

4. Conflict of interest.

I know that men are very invested in video games, but sadly that is not my forte. Unless it's minecraft, then we can bro-out.

5. Physical boundaries are so important.

6. In public, everyone thinks you're on a date.

It really isn't.

7. I can pay for myself, thank you.

I'm not sure why guy friends have this like weird "I need to pay for her" complex, but I'm a self-sufficient woman.

9. What time of day you hang out matters.

Too early in the morning? Weird. Late at night one on one, also weird. 3pm? Perfect.

10. If he has a girlfriend, you might as well give up on being their friend.

11. Men are not brunch people.

I've never EVER encountered a man who asked me if I wanted to get brunch. However, if you ask most women, they'll probably say yes.