11 Things You Can Only Learn From a Breakup

Sometimes, good things can come from bad circumstances.

79
Huffington Post

In the moment, it can feel like we'll never get over a breakup. Nothing hurts more than losing or letting go of someone you care about. After you've finished eating you weight in ice cream and you've gone through all of your tissues; take some time to reflect. Although breakups suck we can always learn something from them.

1. Everything happens for a reason.

As cliche as it sounds, it's true. There's an old saying that when one door closes, another opens. When it comes to breakups, this is true.

2. It wasn't always good.

When we're going through a breakup, we tend to focus on all of the perfect memories we have with the person. The first date, the first kiss, etc. It's important to realize that there were bad moments too. Don't make yourself sad by thinking solely about the good times.

3. It wasn't always bad, either.

Once you get past the initial sad stage, you might enter the rage stage. You'll tell yourself how happy you are that you aren't together because your partner used to do this or that. However, I warn you not to taint their image in your mind. They may have hurt you but you can still remember the great things you did together.

4. You deserve to have fun!

You don't have to rush back into a relationship unless you feel like you're ready! Enjoy being single, learn to love yourself and the world around you.

5. Never settle.

You deserve the entire universe. Don't be sad that you aren't with someone who only gave you the stars.

6. Learn to be notice red flags.

Your past relationship may have had warning signs that it was failing or headed in a negative direction. Maybe you started arguing more or perhaps they became dishonest. Whatever the case is, in the future you want to be able to fix things before they become problems or get out before you're too invested.

7. The meaning of love.

You can love someone. You can be in love with someone. You can love the idea of someone. Learn the difference and you'll be happier and more successful in your relationships.

8. Your well-being comes first.

Don't sacrifice your happiness or health for a relationship. Your thoughts and feelings should always come first. Do what you need to do, not what someone else tells you to do.

9. There's a difference between content and happiness.

This goes back to never settling. You deserve to be in eternal bliss within your relationship. Not everything is always going to work out or be perfect, but when things are good, they should always feel good.

10. Change is inevitable.

The world around us is always changing and so are we. You can't stop someone from becoming someone different. All you can do is hope that you change and grow together rather than apart.

11. You deserve more.

You deserve more than someone who left you. You deserve more than someone who lied to you or cheated on you. You deserve more than someone who wasn't willing to support you. You deserve someone who couldn't compromise with you. You deserve the same love and kindness that you put into the world.