11 Actions You Need To Take During And After An Earthquake

You'd probably do these things too if your house was shaking violently.

153
https://pexels.com

On July 7, near Lincoln, Montana, a 5.8 magnitude earthquake occurred at 12:30 a.m. My house was about forty miles from the epicenter, and all of Montana and parts of Idaho felt the tremors. Following the rumble, my Facebook exploded with the news of the quake. At work, every other person asked if I felt the earth shaking during the night. Even my grandma, who lives in North Carolina, called asking about us. She saw the report on the World News. While the earthquake awakened my parents, I slept like a rock through the whole thing and all eleven aftershocks. While I slept through it, all the buzz ignited the idea to write this article. This is what I probably would have done if I had been awake. I imagine you probably would have done the same.

1. Wake up real fast

2. Imagine the roof blowing off

The house is shaking so bad... what happens if the roof goes? Or maybe the windows break? Is the ground going to split open?

3. Ask yourself, what do you do in an earthquake?

I grew up in North Carolina. This girl is prepared for tornados and hurricanes, not earthquakes. Do you duck and cover? Grab onto the doorframe? Go outside and watch the ground collapse beneath you? Honestly, I'm not really sure what to do.

4. Wait for aftershocks

Here we go again.

5. Remember those ideas about what to do in an earthquake

Was it duck and cover? Wait, what do I take cover under? Do I go to the basement? I think I might be seeing Jesus if I don't figure this out.

6. Where are my parents?!?

Like the scaredy cat that I am, the arrival of natural disasters would cause me to run straight for my parents' bedroom and into their arms.

7. Tell the social media world of your present predicament

Now that I'm safely in my parents arms I can tell the whole world I'm actually going to die.

8. Google the word "earthquake" and see images

This is much worse than I expected.

9. Imagine your house off its foundation and a sinkhole swallowing you whole.

Isn't it wonderful the images the internet will put in your head? I knew I shouldn't have googled.

10. Try and Sleep. Oh wait.

The likelihood of more aftershocks, images of horrible earthquake in your head, and the memory of your house shaking violently? I don't think I'm sleeping now.

11. Cry. You have to wake up early tomorrow morning

You know what? Montana has made the world news twice in two months! We're going down in history as the state with an aggressive congressman and a large, random earthquake. It's kind of funny, the earthquake was actually "breaking news."

I think I'll leave the puns to people who can crack them. See what I did there? Anyways, if you experienced any harm from this earthquake, I'm so sorry. I hope this article can allow you to laugh a little in the midst of this natural disaster. Stay safe friends!