11 Things You Can’t Feed Your Cat

11 Things You Can’t Feed Your Cat

Skip the pizza for kitty.

34
11 Things You Can’t Feed Your Cat
Twitter

Because my family and I just got a beautiful and large cat, Toes (read my articles about him here and here and also here) about six months ago, I did some research on what kinds of human foods we can and can't feed him. Some of these make logical sense, and others are surprising, but keep all of these foods to yourself--don't share with your cats.

1. Alcohol

As little as a tablespoon can cause serious harm to your cat, including liver and brain damage, just like excess drinking in humans. Consider fun alternatives to actual alcohol, like this cat wine made from catnip and other natural ingredients.

2. Xylitol

Xylitol, an artificial sweetener, can cause a severe and sudden drop in blood sugar followed by liver failure. This has only been demonstrated in dogs, but dogs and cats often experience the same reactions to human foods.

3. Grapes/Raisins

Grapes and raisins fed to immunocompromised cats have produced terrible results as extreme as kidney failure.

4. Tobacco

Tobacco contains nicotine, which is not good for any living beings, and cats are no exception. Tobacco can cause rapid heartbeat, collapse, coma, and death, as well as affecting the digestive and nervous systems. Consider also that cats can ingest tobacco through secondhand smoke, so don’t smoke around your pets.

5. Onions & Chives

Onions in trace amounts (like a sauce on a piece of cooked meat) won’t hurt your cat, but consuming pure onion or foods with large amounts of onion may cause your cat to have digestive issues like diarrhea. Be careful, though—routinely consumed, large amounts of onion may cause anemia in cats.

6. Garlic

Whole cloves of garlic will create digestive upset within your cat, and like onions, can lead to anemia if consumed regularly.

7. Caffeine

Caffeine affects cats just like humans, but with far stronger effects from far smaller doses.

8. Chocolate

Chocolate is a real double whammy: it contains both theobromine and caffeine. Theobromine is found in cacao, and while humans can metabolize it, cats (and dogs) are unable to properly process it.

9. Candy/Gum

Along with the risks of chocolate, xylitol, and caffeine, candy or gum can lead to dental issues, obesity, and possibly diabetes.

10. Human Medication

Yes, even baby aspirin or infant medications are dangerous for cats. Your cat’s digestive and immune systems are wildly different from yours, and it’s better to contact your vet if you think your cat is ill.

11. Dairy

This one really shocked me. I had no idea that cats were, for the most part, lactose intolerant. Dairy, including milk, yogurt, and cheese, can upset your cat’s stomach, causing vomiting and diarrhea. Contrary to popular belief, that saucer of milk isn’t good for kitty after all!

There seem to be an unending number of human foods that you can’t or shouldn’t feed your pet, and it may be difficult to ascertain what is okay to feed your cat. Most cat foods keep this in mind and tailor their products specifically to cats’ needs. Cats in the wild also eat meat and fish, so your cat may enjoy the occasional morsel. Consult your vet or visit these sites for further information on what is and isn’t okay.