11 Taylor Swift Songs That Explained the Teenage Years

“To me, Fearless is not the absense of fear. It's not being completely unafraid. To me, Fearless is having fears. Fearless is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you to death.” ― Taylor Swift

7984

Growing up with Taylor Swift, I have heard songs that inspired my teenage years. For girls like me, we grew up with Taylor Swift's songs that explained our teenage years. To listen to each song, click on the picture. :)

1. "Tied Together with a Smile"

Like most teenage girls, we all doubt our own beauty, and our self-esteem was constantly being swayed. In Tied Together with a Smile, it explains how young girls don't see their own beauty or how they wanted the guy. Being tied together with a smile and it getting ready to come undone, the song tells teenage girls that you are worth it, you will find the perfect guy (believe me, it might take a little while- at least for me it did), and you will see that you are beautiful in your own special way.

"That you cry; but you don't tell anyone
That you might not be the golden one
And you're tied together with a smile
But you're coming undone"

2. "Fifteen"

I'm pretty sure every girl listened to this on their first day of high school (I mean, I know I did). It explains the change of moving from middle school to high school and making new friends. For me, high school was rough and wishing I was prettier or smarter but with this song, I heard someone else's story of high school. We all had the friend that was like Abigale (shoutout to Jenna) who we would gossip with and vent to.

Fifteen is that song that makes you miss high school. For me, I miss the simplicity of it and I miss the nonsense drama that makes very funny stories.

"'Cause when you're fifteen,
Somebody tells you they love you
You're gonna believe them
"

3. "Dear John"

In our teenage years, we all go through heartbreak at some point. For me, it was in high school and as soon as that relationship ended, I cried to some Taylor Swift, especially this song. I thought that it couldn't get any better and here I am, three years later in love with someone who understands me.

A note to the reader: you are worth it and you will find someone that knows your worth. It might take forever to find that person but you will find them and they will find you.

"But I took your matches
Before fire could catch me
So don’t look now
I’m shining like fireworks
Over your sad empty town"

4. "Last Kiss"

See above.

"You can plan for a change in weather and time
But I never planned on you changing your mind"

5. "Long Live"

For me, this song took a huge role on the night of graduation. It's about finding an adventure in everything and having someone to go through it with (shoutout Ericca and Jenna).

"Long live the walls we crashed through
How the kingdom lights shined just for me and you
I was screaming long live all the magic we made
And bring on all the pretenders
I'm not afraid"

6. "You Belong with Me"

Personally, I remember dancing to this song with my friend Gina. It was a go-to jam out session song and the music video was pretty great. Growing up, I feel like every girl had that guy that they just wanted and wished for. This song describes it perfectly.

7. "The Best Day"

Growing up, my mom and I were always close. When I had a rough day, I know I can always talk to my mom and when I need to vent, I can always call her even when I'm at college. My junior year of high school, I sang this song for her during my solo night for choir and she cried like a baby (sorry mom). I even sang it to her at her 50th birthday party. So mom, thank you for everything that you do for me.

"And I didn't know if you knew
So I'm taking this chance to say
That I had the best day
With you today"

8. "Fearless"

To me, this song is about being with someone that makes you feel invincible and falling gin love with someone who is your better half. It's about going out and finally being with someone who makes you feel fearless and they make you feel like you can do anything as long as they're with you.

"'Cause I don't know how it gets better than this
You take my hand and drag me head first
Fearless"

9. "Clean"

Although this song is off of her newest album 1989, this song relates to teenage girls because it's about finally getting rid of the burden of an ex. Yes, that person was in your life, yes it sucks that they hurt you but here, you are finally clean and gone is any trace of them.

"Rain came pouring down when I was drowning
That's when I could finally breathe
And by morning gone was any trace of you,
I think I am finally clean"

10. "White Horse"

I feel like every girl pretend that they were Taylor Swift in this music video. The song was my favorite because it was the song that was just relatable. I even sang this song for my first solo performance.

"'Cause I'm not your princess, this ain't a fairytale,
I'm gonna find someone someday who might actually treat me well"

10. "Sparks Fly"

This song is about finding the guy and every time you look at them, the whole world stops. Sometimes, that guy might not be the right for you (like mentioned in the song), but in that moment in time they are perfect. Everything about them is interesting and captivating along with the storybook spark that goes off when you're with them.

"Drop everything now
Meet me in the pouring rain
Kiss me on the sidewalk"

11. "Everything Has Changed"

If love at first sight had a song, it would be this. The song mentions how someone wants to just know another person better. Their eyes look like coming home and they feel like your person. Life is easy when they're around.

"And your eyes look like coming home
All I know is a simple name
Everything has changed"

So one day, as you listen to these songs and you have that sudden urge of nostalgia, remember the first time you heard these songs or remember the time when these songs have related to you. If you have other Taylor Swift songs that helped you, drop them in the comments!