11 Self-Care Tips To Make Your Summer Great

The high temperatures and bright sunshine of summer can invigorate some, but leaves others feeling down in the dumps. Here are 11 tips to beat the heat and make your summer one you can enjoy.

136

Everyone knows about Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD, that occurs when someone feels unusually down or depressed during the winter months. But not many know that people can experience the same feelings in the summer--while it’s not an official diagnosis, like SAD, it’s definitely common for the hot weather and sun to make people feel less-than-chipper.

No matter what season, it’s important to arm yourself with the right tools or coping methods to deal with seasonal disorders. Here are 11 self-care tips to make sure the summer sun doesn’t melt you down:

1. Remember that every body is a beach body.

Do you have a body? Congratulations, you have a beach body! Don't let all the swimsuit ads or Instagram posts fool you into thinking there's an ideal shape or size you must have to wear a bikini out to the pool. Whatever size or body shape you have, you can rock that bathing suit.

2. Cut out negative self-talk.

It's easy to be overly critical of yourself during the summertime especially when everyone is out and about wearing cute outfits and going on lavish vacations. Comparison kills--so instead of getting down on yourself, try realizing that just because someone else looks bangin' in their bikini doesn't mean that you don't look amazing as well. Celebrate your own look and your own experiences--there's no standard for how you should spend your summer!

3. Try some delicious frozen smoothie recipes.

Nothing is better than an ice-cold frozen drink on an unbearably hot summer day. The sun, especially on days with little to no cloud coverage, can easily drain your energy and leave you feeling lethargic. Take a look at this 11 healthy-yet-delicious smoothie recipes from Self.com to give you that extra kick you need to beat the summer heat.

4. Set goals.

Summer is the perfect time for personal development--whether you're on break from school or a job, use your extra time to work on a few mental or physical goals. Learn how to play a new instrument, work out a couple days a week or read that book that's been sitting on your shelf for months--the possibilities are endless. Whatever goal you set for yourself, it'll make sure your time isn't wasted and you'll feel super accomplished by the end of the season.

5. Use a refreshing facial mist.

My absolute least favorite part of the summer is all the sweat--I hate being out with friends or family trying to have a good time, but I'm too busy wiping the sweat out of my eyes and overheating. Next time you're out in high temperatures, bring along a nice facial mist that you can spray over your face or body for an instantly cooling, refreshing effect. Try this cult favorite Mario Badescu Rosewater Spray or this Hydrating Facial Serum Spray from Valjean Labs.

6. Spend quality alone time with yourself.

Personally, I know I frequently feel exhausted after going out with friends or even after a vacation. Fun activities like a beach trip or hiking, while meant to be relaxing, can socially exhaust you, especially when spending long periods of time with friends or family. Don’t feel selfish for allocating time to spend with yourself--you need it to recharge, and be ready for the next outing!

7. Wear more sunscreen.

I know this sounds more like a nagging parent than a self-care tip, but it’s so important--no matter how much time you’re spending outside, make sure to stock up on the appropriate SPF to avoid sun damage. Trust me, you’ll feel a lot better without a raging sunburn--and your skin will thank you for it later, when you’re not old and wrinkled.

8. Have fun hydrating.

Proper hydration can feel like a chore, especially in the summer when everyone and their mother is preaching about getting that recommended 6-8 cups of water a day. But hydrating doesn’t have to feel like an obligation--experiment with adding different fruits and vegetables to your water, like grapefruit or jalapenos(I know--but trust me, it’s delicious). Whether it’s a new sparkling water, tea, or fruity Italian soda, making sure you’re properly hydrated will be beneficial to both your body and mind.

9. Learn how to say no, and don’t feel bad about it.

Something I always struggle with in the summer is over-committing to plans and events, then either forcing myself to go out or feeling insanely guilty having to decline an invitation. It’s hard not to, especially when popular media portrays summer as needing to be action-packed and full of adventure every single day. Don’t feel pressured to make plans or say yes to every invitation--like I said before, alone time is time well spent, and you need it to stay sane. Don’t feel bad when you want to spend time at home reading a book or doing other solo activities. Your friends will understand, and be even more excited to see you next time.

10. Incorporate a new activity into your routine.

Not only is trying new things exciting, but it exercises your mind and body in a way that encourages positive self-talk and feelings. Take the nice weather and extra time in the summer to add something beneficial to your every day routine, like doing 20 minutes of yoga after waking up, or going for a short walk after dinner. Changing up your day-to-day life is important to not feel bored with your routine, and will make sure you don’t feel tied down to spending your summer a certain way.

11. Get outside.

With its warm temperatures and sunshine, summer presents the perfect opportunity to spend more time in the great outdoors than inside in an office or classroom. Take this opportunity to plan more outdoor activities, like exploring a local park or a town you’ve never been to before. Simply reading a book or working on your laptop outside will be beneficial, and a welcome change to your routine. Don’t take the comfortable weather for granted--before you know it, it’ll be -10 degrees and sleeting again.

These were just a few of my favorite tips--if you’re looking for more ways to spice up your summer, check out your social media to see if there are any fun events happening locally, or make sure to keep in contact with your friends to plan some adventures. Remember that you deserve to spend your time in a way that makes you happy--no matter where you go on vacation or however else you spend your summer vacation, make sure it’ll be one that you can enjoy.