11 Struggles Of The Introverted Extrovert

My entire life I've always assumed I was the quintessential extrovert...

125
FOX

My entire life I've always assumed I was the quintessential extrovert. I've always had a lot of friends, been easily sociable and personable, and talked incessantly.

In my younger years, I was always separated from my peers in school due to my nonstop babbling. I've always had something to say and I love being apart of any conversation. However, as I became older, I began to deeply cherish my alone time, and if I didn't have it enough, I would begin to crave it desperately. After spending ample amounts of time with friends and/or family members, I would become cranky and upset, and feel the need to urgently remove myself. Coming home from school I would always find myself exhausted and intensely desiring being by myself.

However, my joy of interacting with people never ceased, I just needed a balance before I began feeling distressed. I began doing research on various aspects of introverts and extroverts and found that my previous definition didn't accurately cover it. I found that it is all about where a person derives their energy. I have found that, despite my characteristically extroverted traits, my energy is sapped when I am in a social setting for too long, and I need to be alone in order to replenish my energy supply. I am an introverted extrovert, or an ambivert. Does this sound like you? If so, you may relate to the following...

1. You enjoy beginning a conversation, but often become quickly bored with it.

2. In a group, you feel the need to be alone, but by yourself, you begin to crave company.

3. You're consistently torn between going out and having alone time.

4. After talking a lot or engaging in any form of conversation, you feel the need to reflect and think to yourself.

5. Sometimes socializing feels like a chore, but other times you love it.

6. You enjoy spending time with others, but are typically exhausted afterwards.

7. You hate being labeled as either an "introvert" or an "extrovert."

8. You go through extended periods of time where you're social, and extended periods of time where you stick to yourself.

9. You can switch between being social and being quiet easily, depending on your mood.

10. You're sometimes anxious entering unfamiliar social situations, but you can hide it well, and usually end up enjoying them.

11. You've wondered whether you'd identify as an introvert or an extrovert on multiple occasions.

If you identify with 6 or more of these statements, you're probably an ambivert!