11 Struggles You Just Get If You're Racially Ambiguous

It's a fun game.

141
Photo by Alberto Bogo

The stares, the constant puzzling look--I'm sure you know what I am talking about. That is, if you happen to be a racially ambiguous individual.

Whether you are mixed with Black and White or Asian with Black or whatever it may be, I'm sure you have gotten mistaken for somebody from another country/racial group. It has happened to all of us who claim to be mixed or racially ambiguous. I have gotten my share of individuals mistaking me for other people they have known from other countries! It's crazy how DNA works.

It's not always a negative thing to be confused for someone who shares a different background than you do. Sometimes it's annoying, funny, and interesting. It is a cool thing to see how we happen to inherit genes half from mom and half from dad.

However, depending on where you are from (let's say you happen to be in America), it is understandable for someone to think that you are from where they are from. I remember having a Hispanic woman approach me and start speaking Spanish to me without asking me if I spoke it. I followed and she seemed relieved.

If you ever think that being racially ambiguous is a disadvantage, think again.

I don't mean to put politics on the spotlight, but for this instance, I will. Living in a time when immigrants are swept off to the side and discriminated against, it is almost always beneficial to be racially ambiguous, because, at times, people do get it right. This then creates a welcoming and relieving environment.

Okay, okay. I'll quit ranting now. So, come forth, my racially ambiguous friends, and let's relate to one another with these 11 struggles you just get if you're racially ambiguous.

People from foreign countries will immediately start speaking their language to you.

The good ol' "what are you?" question.

You've been mistaken as from a different country/racial group.

"So where are your parents from?"

"You must speak Spanish."

"You're so exotic."

People will stare at you like you've got something on your forehead.

Your hair is constantly being touched.

People never get your ethnic background right.

If you do speak another language, people will always associate you with it.

"No where are you really from?"