11 Songs From Broadway Musicals That Will Tug At Your Heart Strings

I'm not crying, you're crying!

115

If you are an avid theatre fan, this list is for you. If you are not an avid theatre fan, this list is still for you. Music is a unifying force. Regardless of your view on Broadway musicals, it is an undeniable fact that they are full of incredible songs that tap in to the rawness of human emotion. They possess truly organic representations of the human experience, allowing any person at all to relate to their content. If your heart is ready, here are some of those songs.

1. "Whispering" from Spring Awakening

Notable Lyric: "Listening, for the hope, for the new life. Something beautiful, a new chance. Hear its whispering, there again."

Listen here:

2. "Hold Me In Your Heart" from Kinky Boots

Notable Lyric: "You missed out on the best part of me. The part that made me who I am today. O, but the best part of me is standing in front of you and you loves you anyway."

Listen here:

3. "I Love You Song" from The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Notable Lyric: "I think Dad is angry, Ma and I don't know what to do. Mama, Mama, Mama. Shanti Shanti and all. I think he takes out on me what he wants to take out on you. Mama, Mama, Mama, how I wish you were home."

Listen here:

4. "I Hate You" from If/Then

Notable Lyric: "You're the reason I think this life might not be meaningless. You're my North Star, my path to grace. You're my single best decision in a life of many awful ones. My one big yes, my one embrace. With you I never feel I'm out of place."

Listen here:

5. "Without You" from Rent

Notable Lyric: "Without you, the earth turns, the sun burns, but I die, without you."

Listen here:

6. "The Hill" from Once

Notable Lyric: "But where are you my angel now? Don't you see me crying? And I know that you can't do it all, but you can't say I'm not trying."

Listen here:

7. "Still Hurting" from The Last Five Years

Notable Lyric: "Jamie arrived at the end of the line. Jamie's convinced that the problems are mine. Jamie is probably feeling just fine, and I'm still hurting."

Listen here:

8. "Fathers and Sons" from Working

Notable Lyric: "Boy you never stop to think how fast the years run. Now they've taken you."

Listen here:

9. "It's Quiet Uptown" from Hamilton

Notable Lyric: "If you see him in the street, walking by himself, talking to himself, have pity."

Listen here:

10. "21 Guns" from American Idiot

Notable Lyric: "When you're at the end of the road, and you've lost all sense of control. And your thoughts have taken their toll, when your mind breaks the spirit of your soul. Your faith walks on broken glass, and the hangover doesn't pass. Nothing's ever built to last. You're in ruins."

Listen here:

11. "She Used To Be Mine" from Waitress

Notable Lyric: "When she's bruised and gets used by a man who can't love. And then she'll get stuck and be scared of the life that's inside her, growing stronger each day, 'til it finally reminds her to fight just a little to bring back the fire in her eyes. That's been gone but it used to be mine."

Listen here: