11 Roadtrip Destinations Within A 4 Hour Drive From DC

Take a break, take a weekend vacation, or a day roadtrip.

18842
Stowaway Mag

From finals to formals, from internships to jobs, college is stressful. There is rarely time to take a break, explore, and adventure. Here are 11 destination within driving distance from DC to explore this weekend!

1. Annapolis, MD

Distance: ~30 miles, about one hour drive
Things to do: Go sailing, go on a sunset cruise, go kayaking, take a Colonial Tour, go on a ghost or Segway tour of the town.
Places to go: US Naval Academy, Colonial Annapolis Historic District, Quiet Water Park.
Where to stay: Check out this room and this apartment.
What to eat:Smoked brisket benny at Iron Rooster or tuna tartar at Vin 909.

2. Atlantic City, NJ

Distance: ~200 miles, about a three and a half hour drive.
Things to do: Try your luck at a casino, go shopping at an outlet mall, go to a concert or comedy show, bar hop.
Places to see: The Boardwalk, Absecon Lighthouse, beaches.
Where to stay: Try this house with an ideal location, this budget friendly apartment, or this beach-front room.
What to eat: Raw Bar at Dock's Oyster House or truffle mac and cheese at Tomatoe's.

3. Charlottesville, VA

Distance: ~120 miles, about a two and a half hour drive.
Things to do: Visit and tour UVA, go on a bike ride, bar hop, go on a hike.
Places to see: Monticello, breweries, wineries, Carter Mountain Orchard, Home of President James Monroe.
Where to stay: Check out this eco-friendly home, this budget-friendly room, or this cottage with a great location.
What to eat: Tapas at Mas or bagels at Bodo's.

4. Dover, DE

Distance: ~100 miles, about a two hour drive.
Things to do: Walk through Spence's Bazaar, see a performance at the Schwartz Center for the Arts, go to Firefly Music Festival in the summer, spend too much money shopping.
Places to see: First State Heritage Park, Dover International Speedway, Biggs Museum of American Art, Dover Victorian Mansions, Dover Air Force Base.
Where to stay: Take a look at this historic room or this house.
What to eat: Fried mushrooms at Where Pigs Fly or ratatouille portabella at Michele's.

5. Gettysburg, PA

Things to do: Shop the outlets, take a scenic valley tour, visit a winery, get spooked on a ghost tour.
Places to see: Gettysburg Battlefield, Eisenhower National Historic Site, Shriver House Museum, Indian Echo Caverns.
Where to stay: Take a look at this downtown room, this historic room, and this apartment.
What to eat: Lemon ricotta pancakes at Fidler & Co or smoked salmon bruschetta at Garryowen Irish Pub.

6. Harper's Ferry, WV

Distance: ~70 miles, about an hour and a half drive.
Things to do: Hike Elk Ridge, Loudoun Heights, or Short Hill Mountain, go on a vampire tour, try out a rope course or zip line.
Places to see: Jefferson Rock, National Historic Park, John Brown Wax Museum, Civil War Living History Museum.
Where to stay: Check out this retreat, this eccentric dome house, and this beautiful nest.
What to eat: A monte cristo sandwich at The Country Cafe, or the beet and goat cheese salad at Canal House Cafe.

7. Morgantown, WV

Distance: ~215 miles, about a three and a half hour drive.
Things to do: Visit and tour WVU, go fishing at Cheat Lake, golf at Dorsey Knob, white water rafting, take a guided kayak tour, bar hop.
Places to see: Earl A. Core Arboretum, Monongalia Arts Center, Generation WWII Museum, Forks-of-Cheat Winery.
Where to stay: Check out this loft and this apartment that is a walking distance from downtown.
What to eat: Wild mushroom ramen at Iron Horse Tavern or a pesto quesadilla at Black Bear Burritos.

8. New York City, NY

Distance: ~230 miles, about a four hour drive.
Things to do: See a musical, shop 'til you drop, visit the Museum of Modern Art, visit the Statue of Liberty.
Places to see: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, Staten Island, Riverdale, Times Square, Upper East Side, Empire State Building, Central Park, Radio City Music Hall.
Where to stay: Check out this budget-friendly room and this luxurious apartment.
What to eat: The options are endless, but try halva at Seed and Mill or foie gras brulee at American Cut.

9. Rehoboth Beach, DE

Things to do: Sunbathe, go for a swim, walk the boardwalk, wine tasting, visit a lighthouse, shop the outlets, take a food tour.
Places to see: Delaware Sea Shore State Park, Jungle Jim's, Cape Henlopen, Funland, Clear Space Theater, Spice and Tea Exchange.
Where to stay: Try this affordable room or this unique home.
What to eat: Rehoboth Roll at Cultured Pearl or a lamb shish kabob at Semra's.

10. Richmond, VA

Things to do: See a concert at The National, visit and tour VCU and University of Richmond, walk through the botanical gardens, go to a unique spa.
Places to see: Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Edgar Allan Poe Museum, American Civil War Museum, Virginia Holocaust Museum, Carytown.
Where to stay: Try this apartment or this room right in the heart of downtown.
What to eat: Nutella stuffed french toast at 821 or butternut squash hummus at Pasture.

11. Virginia Beach, VA

Things to do: Go fishing, try parasailing, walk the boardwalk, see a concert at the NorVa, paddle-board, indoor skydiving, ride a horse.
Places to see: Virginia Aquarium, Mount Trashmore, Virgnia Museum of Contemporary Art, several malls, The Adventure Park, Virginia Beach Farmers Market.
Where to stay: Take a look at this seaside room or this adorable barn.
What to eat: Golden lobster roll at Volcano Sushi Bar or a Northender at Taste Unlimited.

Whether you are a history buff, beach bum, party animal, or poker fiend, there are many options to get out of your dorm or apartment this weekend. If you are sick of your surroundings, grab your best friends and go on a getaway as soon as possible!