11 Reasons You Should Watch "Will & Grace" (Again)

"Knock knock! Anybody homo?"

318
The Today Show

"Will and Grace" is a masterpiece. Not only is it just a damn hilarious piece of television, but it is also easily the most high-profile piece of LGBTQ+ television to ever hit the mainstream. Hell, even my homophobic parents watch it, it's that good. Although the show initially ended in 2006, some recent developments have warranted a revisit to the series, so here are 11 reasons you should watch "Will and Grace" (again)!

1. You can stream it now.

For the longest time, the only way you could get this show is to either buy the episodes or just watch reruns on Lifetime. Now, you can watch every episode on NBC's On Demand app or Hulu. Go. Do it now.

2. NBC has given it new life with two new seasons.

NBC has given "Will and Grace" the "Gilmore Girls" treatment, ordering two brand new seasons of queer goodness. More Will, more Grace, more Jack, and God bless more Karen Walker.

3. It's basically "Friends", but queer (read better).

That's right, I said it. As much as I loved "Friends" and the glory that is Chandler Bing and Phoebe Buffay, it was just missing a little something. That something is a consistent dose of queerness. Yes, I know that they originally wanted to make Chandler gay but changed their minds at the last minute (God knows why), and I know that Ross had the gay ex-wife, but that plot point was almost always just used as a way to complicate Ross's life to make him interesting. Speaking of Ross, that's another reason "Will and Grace" is better: Ross isn't in it.

4. It portrays two people of the opposite sex in an intimate platonic relationship.

I know, I know. Will is gay and Grace is straight, so there's no way they would ever be romantic anyway, but that isn't the point! Do you realize how rare it is for a TV show to have two friends of the opposite sex as being in an intimate friendship that isn't just the pre-romance or the setup for a dumb friendzone storyline. Then there's Karen and Jack. Their friendship is pure fun and I want all of it.

5. It portrays two gay men in a platonic relationship.

This should be totally unnecessary, but it's not. Whether it's real life or on TV, people just can't wrap their heads around two people who could be sexually attracted to each other not being in a relationship, and yet, Will and Jack just happen to be two gay, campy BFFs who go to gay bars, talk about boys, and sing show tunes at other people's misery.

6. The reboot will have a much broader focus on queer life.

One of the common, and honestly valid, criticisms of the show is that it had poor representation of LGBTQ+ people outside of white, gay men. That being said, there are reports that the reboot will have a broader spectrum of LGBTQ+ representation. Times have changed, so it's no surprise that a show that began when gay rights were controversial will now be different in a post same-sex marriage world.

7. It portrayed the homophobic/misogynistic tendencies within the gay community.

This one might sound a little odd, but when you think about it this lesson is absolutely necessary in a world full of masc4masc, no femme, straight acting gay men. Although Will and Jack are best friends, Will has often been embarrassed by Jack's flamboyancy, so much so that he called Jack a fag. Grace rightfully pointed out that Will was just angry at Jack because it reminded him of what he was most afraid of about himself. Another valuable lessoned learned. "I'd rather be a fag than afraid".

8. "Will and Grace" is a masterclass in savagery.

Sarcasm. Wit. Petty insults between friends. All is fair game in the land of "Will and Grace". Except for each other's mothers. We don't go there. It's the nuclear warhead of savage jokes at another's expense.

9. Jack McFarland

Sure, he's stereotypically camp, loves show tunes, and goes on literally thousands of dates with guys he never sees again a year, but that's just Jack! Where Will, although still campy, is a lot more reserved, Jack likes to go all out with gay. On a real note, watching Jack on the show helped grow into being gay a lot smoother than it could have. Seeing someone be so unapologetically them made me want to be just as unapologetic. I'm still working on it.

10. Karen Walker

She's our favorite Trump voting, alcoholic, gold digger and we love her for it! She's vapid, out of touch with the average person, and petty beyond all belief, but she's a funny girl who's not afraid to speak her mind.

11. Jack AND Karen

Read 9. Now read 10. Now read 9 and 10 together. Are you excited yet? Good, now turn on your TV and go watch some gay ass television!